Unable to deactivate users despite being an admin

Clay Wightman February 11, 2021

I have am working on a project for which I need to add a collaborator temporarily.  However when I try to invite the user I get the message "You've reached the maximum number of users for one of your products". 

So I need to deactivate old users which are no longer active on Jira, however when I try to get to user management I am locked out with the message "You need permission, request access from your administrator".

What am I missing?  I am able to log into the "Trusted users" admin portal and invite new users, is there a spot I can have my permission changed so that I can access the user-management section of the site?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 11, 2021

you must be a site/system admin not just a Project admin. Please reach out to that individual about taking care of the users or giving you the necessary admin permissions.

Clay Wightman February 12, 2021

@Jack Brickey This ended up being the issue!  Thanks so much for helping track it down!

Like John Funk likes this
0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 11, 2021

Hi Clay - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

It sounds like you might be on the Free plan.

It only allows you to have 10 Jira users or 3 Jira Service Management users or 10 Confluence users. It might be one of those that is tripping you up. 

Clay Wightman February 11, 2021

@John Funk Thanks for the reply!  Will deactivating non-active Jira users allow us to add new users?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 11, 2021

Yes 🙂

Like Clay Wightman likes this

Suggest an answer