Unable to create issues in other project with link automation

Justin Larzelere
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
June 7, 2022

Hi,

I recently created a simple automation. The automation creates 5 new issues (2 of which are in other projects). The issues which are in the same project are created successfully. The 2 issues that are in other projects return the error "Issues X must be of type 'Epic'".

Trigger: Value changes on Epic

Actions:

1. Create a new task (in same project)

2. Create a new task (in same project)

3. Create a new task (in same project)

4. Create a new task (in different project)

5. Create a new task (in different project)

I am attempting to link the newly created issues to an epic through the "Epic link" field and issue the smart key {{triggerissue.key}}. I have also tried linking the issues to the epic using "Copy from trigger issue"

The scope for the rule is "multiple projects" and contains all of the projects that I want to create an issue in.

See below screenshots. I also provided screenshots of the actions that appear to be causing the issue. 

Screen Shot 2022-06-07 at 8.59.56 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-06-07 at 9.17.00 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-06-07 at 9.16.39 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-06-07 at 9.14.35 AM.png

1 answer

1 vote
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 7, 2022

Hi @Justin Larzelere -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Smart values are spacing and case-sensitive, so please try:

{{triggerIssue.key}}

And, I recommend adding a condition after the trigger to confirm the issue type is Epic before proceeding with the rule processing.

Kind regards,
Bill

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events