Unable to connect to database mysql 5.7

David VANTAELEN
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 1, 2021

Hi,

We try to install a new Jira 8.14. The installation software is done without any issues but the connection to the mysql 5.7.33 ends with this error: 

"This MySQL instance is not properly configured. Please follow the documentation for MySQL 5.7 setup".

Do you have any idea about this, please?

Note: The database is open and we can connect it with workbench. The procedure followed was: https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/connecting-jira-applications-to-mysql-5-7-966063305.html

Thank you so much.

Best regards,

David

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 1, 2021

The last time someone asked this, a couple of weeks back, it was because although they'd followed the docs on setting up the database properly, they were using completely the wrong connection settings on the Jira side (i.e. database was fine, but they'd ignored the Jira setup instructions and taken their own incorrect guess on how to do it)

Does the error message give you any more that "it's not configured right"?  If not, then you'll need to take a look at the application log to see if there is a specific error in there.

You'll also want to have a look in the contents of dbconfig.xml in the Jira home directory - obviously check username and password, but what does the connection string look like?  Is it a validly formatted jdbc string?

David VANTAELEN
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 1, 2021

Thank you Nic.

You are right. The DB config is ok but:

Jira Wizard doesn't work properly.

In test, I've installed a JVM 1.8 separetely and executed C:\Program Files\Atlassian\Jira\bin\config.bat. 
A dbconfig.xml was generated. The connection to DB is ok.

But not jira because there is another  bug: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-71060?filter=12844 

I've changed <database-type>mysql57</database-type> with <database-type>mysql</database-type>

And now jira works.

Regards,

David

Like Nic Brough -Adaptavist- likes this

Suggest an answer