Unable to close issues with Jira automation

Carsten Häusler July 16, 2020

Whenever I setup any automation with transitioning an issue to CLOSED aka DONE, I get the following error message in the automation logs:

Action details:

Transition issue

Destination status could not be resolved. If using a smart-value ensure this resolves to a numeric status ID or untranslated name for issues (with current status)

The workflow allows to close the issue. I have also tried transitioning to another status which works with no issues. Any idea what the error means?

Thanks in advance for your help!

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Ibrahim Ghalghay August 10, 2021

Hello

The simplest solution is to change the Actor in the Automation Rulte into your user or any user who has permission to apply this transition, also the permission to close an issue.

Regards;

0 votes
Katlyn Gallo
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 11, 2020

I am having the same issue with one of my automation rules. It was working with "Transition issue to Canceled", but is not working with "Transition issue to Done" or "Transition issue to Closed". I validated the atlassian-addons role has permissions to edit statuses of an issue and transition them through the workflow.

Nathan December 14, 2020

Check all the required fields. thats what the issue was for me. 

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 16, 2020

Hi Carsten - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Are there any Conditions or Validators on the transition to CLOSED? You might need to add the atlassian-addons group to the transition condition. 

Thanks!

No the permissions for transitioning and closing an issue are the same. There are no other restrictions to closing an issue than the permissions and the workflow. Both are fine.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 16, 2020

But you are saying that it moves the issue to Closed anyway? So you are just getting an annoying message but everything works?

No, the issue is actually not closed. This is the only part of my desired transition that doesn't work. I have singled it out. This just doesn't work. And I don't comprehend the error message...

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 16, 2020

Can you post a screenshot of the audit log with the message?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 16, 2020

Oh, and is this a Next-gen project? Or do you use Next-gen projects? And if so, are there other projects that use the Closed status?

Carsten Häusler July 17, 2020

image.png
It is not a Next-Gen Project but the Closed status is used by a lot of other projects as well.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 17, 2020

I still think it is a permission issue somewhere. Take a look at the Permission Scheme for that Project to see who has Transition Issue permissions. The atlassian-addons-project-role needs to be there. 

Nathan December 2, 2020

Any update on this? Im having the same issue for a 'Next-Gen' Jira Service Manager

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 2, 2020

Hi Nathan - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

It's always best to open a new question with the Community so more people will see it. That way you can describe exactly what you are doing and what is not working for your instance. 

Like Bill Sheboy likes this
Nathan December 2, 2020

Alright ill give that a shot. I thought it was best to use existing forums as its the same issue. Thats how our other software is. 

Thanks.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 2, 2020

Each occurrence per user is usually a little bit different. And, again, the main thing is that the only people who see it are the ones in the post. In this case, just two people - versus thousands seeing it. 

Like John Funk likes this
Carsten Häusler December 2, 2020

@Nathan No, I haven't figured out the reason. I have since dropped it because this automation was not a must have for me. I'd be interested in your issue though :)

Like Florian Well likes this
Nathan December 2, 2020

@Carsten Häusler So i added a new request. For me, the answer to the issue was a missing required field. So after confirming the flow and triggers and validation and all required fields were in, it worked for me. 

Like # people like this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 11, 2021

Hey @Carsten Häusler  - Anything new here? Is there a way we can close out this open question? Thanks!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events