Unable to add a screen or configure linked issue categories in the Jira free version?

Lindsey Norman March 8, 2021

I utilize Jira for my "day job" with my employer, and am very familiar with how to configure projects and deal with customizations within my company's Jira space. When it came to needing a work tracking software for a side business I am starting, going with Jira was a no brainer! Especially when I saw that there was a free version.

However, there seems to be things I am able to do within my company's Jira space that I am unable to do here. The two things that have occurred so far are:

1. Add a screen prompting the user to describe the reason an issue is blocked when moved into the blocked column. When I go to the "Screen" page to add a screen, I do not see an area where I can do that.

2. Unable to add a linked issues type of "depends on"

I am unsure if I am having trouble simply because things look different (I am aware my company has customized their Jira site), or if it is because I am unable to do these things within the free version.

I am open to upgrading to the standard plan, but when looking into it I do not see anything indicating that I would be able to do these things within that plan. The only thing that seems to be different is more permission capabilities as far as admin controls.

Any insight that could be provided would be great! Thank you. 

1 answer

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 8, 2021

Hi Lindsey - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

I will see if I can get answers to your questions although I do not use Jira Free so I can't verify one way or the other from my end. I should probably just set one up for things around the house.  :-)

So you are saying that you got to Settings > Issues > Screens and there is no way to add a screen there? 

Lindsey Norman March 8, 2021

Thanks for the quick reply and the warm welcome!

I think I may have figured the screen issue out. First, I did find how to add a screen. I think I needed to get used to the difference in layout between this site and the one at my work. I was clicking the "Project Settings" tab, and not understanding why I wasn't seeing a place to click "Issues". I realized I needed to hit the settings tab in the top right hand corner! Apparently I need more coffee this morning :)

I then ran into the issue of not being able to add the screen to the transition. But I think that is because I was attempting to add it to the workflow generated by Atlassian for the project. There is text that reads "This workflow is managed internally by Jira Software. Do not manually modify this workflow." under the workflow name. The "Add Transition" button is not available in this workflow.

Therefore, I am currently in the process of creating a new workflow. The "Add Transition" button is now available to me in this new workflow, so I should be able to set it up for what I need.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 8, 2021

Great - sounds like you are up and running then. Let us know if you need additional help. 

Like Lindsey Norman likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events