Unable to add Sub-Tasks, only Child Issues

Tina.Henry December 31, 2021

I'm a Project Admin of a team managed project.  Documentation for adding a subtask to an issue indicates when you open the issue, there should be a "Create Sub-Task" option below the Issue Summary.  In our version/configuration of Jira Software-Cloud, the only option is to "Add a Child Issue".  When doing so, the child issue is assigned it's own key, so basically when creating a Sub-Task with this method it looks like I'm actually creating multiple additional issues for which my initial issue is the parent. These issues are assigned the issue type of Sub-Task, but appear to be actual issues in themselves.   Is this correct functionality?  Is the documentation that references "Create Subtask" outdated or for a different product?   Or is it possible that my company's configuration is different somehow?  I have quite a few Sub-Tasks that I'd like to set up for this Issue Type. I'm concerned about producing a multitude of issues inadvertently. 

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 31, 2021

Hi @Tina.Henry , welcome to the community!

in fact, this is how Sub-tasks work. They will have their own issue key just like tasks. The difference here is that they have a special relationship with their parents. This is especially apparent when using scrum boards. I hope this makes sense.

Tina.Henry December 31, 2021

Thanks Jack.  Sounds like this is the functionality I need, then.  I guess I was just getting caught up in labels

Like Jack Brickey likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events