Unable to 'Move sprint up' on 'Backlog' tab in JIRA Agile

Randall Fisher
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 6, 2015

I have a user that is an Admin on all projects included in the board.  The user is also an admin of the board.

When the user tries to 'Move sprint up' to re-arrange the sprints on the Backlog tab, they eventually get an error message complaining they are not an Admin on projects x,y,z (which they are).

As a JIRA Admin, I can move the sprint up for them.

Why can't this user change the order of the sprints?

Figured I would ask here first before opening a ticket with Atlassian.

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Randall Fisher
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 25, 2015

A user cannot move sprints on the backlog view if they do not have permission on all the issues assigned to sprints on the board, even if the issues in those sprints are being filtered out, off of, the board.

Do a quick audit of open issues in all projects in the error and ensure that there is not a sprint marker assigned from the board you are looking at..  Use an issue filter, looking at open sprints, and look for a sprint that does not belong to the project the board covers.  (Hopefully you do not use short Sprint names like 'Sprint 1' on all your projects.)

1 vote
Pilar
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 17, 2015

I recommend the user to try this, the system will tell you which projects the user needs project admin rights on. Then go to those JIRA projects administration tab and give the user project admin permissions on those X,y and Z projects.

This problem may have been triggered by the fact that some issues were cloned and moved to Project Y and Z, on which the user does not have appropriate permissions., During cloning process, JIRA clones everything, including the sprint information. So, these clones may have moved to other projects but still have reference to the active sprint.

Giving user project admin permissions will solve your immediate problem. 

You as JIRA admin can do it may be because you have project admin permissions be default on all JIRA projects (may be via permission scheme or something)

Pilar

Randall Fisher
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 17, 2015

This is just one scenario in a series of issues we having with issues that get Moved out of old 'Closed' projects. On projects that are considered 'Closed', we apply a permission scheme where the issues are effectively in a read-only state. Occasionally, we have an issue that was never worked, but we find we need it in another project. We move it to a project that is not 'Closed' and work it from there. Because there is a hidden reference to the 'Closed' project and its read-only permission scheme, we've started to run into a series of issues, this is one of them. How do we clean out (sterilize) issues that get moved?

0 votes
Randall Fisher
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 14, 2015

Seeing nothing here, I will open a ticket.

Shireesha Baddam December 11, 2020

Hi @Randall Fisher  Were you able to find a solution or any workaround for this issue? I am running into same issue when trying to move Sprint up or down in Backlog. Please let me know if you have found something to fix the issue. 

Suggest an answer