Typing time in the Time Spent field does not add to logged work

Susan Alipour March 15, 2019

I have added a Log Work field (with Time Spent) to my Edit/View screens. There is also a Tempo Log functionality on the primary page. When I update the Time Spent field, on the issue, the time is not added to the logged work. However, when I add time to the Tempo log field, the time is logged.

What would be causing this issue with the Time Spent field? Should you only be using the Log Work field if you are using JIRA to log work and not using Tempo?

1 answer

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 15, 2019

Hello Susan,

How are you?

Your hunch is correct. The time Spent field that you have added to your screen is a custom field added by Tempo Plugin, so it will only properly log your work on Tempo worklog screen.

The "Log Work" option of JIRA is related to the time tracking functionality and is displayed together with the time tracking fields (Original Estimate, Remaining Estimate and Time Spent), as you can see in the documentation below:

Configuring time tracking

That been said, you must add the time tracking field to your project screens to use the Log work option of the issue view.

Please, let me know if this information clarifies your question. Have a nice weekend!

Susan Alipour March 15, 2019

For Tempo, is there a way to validate that time has been entered before transitioning to the next state in the workflow?

Susanne Götz _Tempo_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 18, 2019

Hi @Susan Alipour ,

In the current version of JIRA and Tempo, it is not possible to add the Tempo Log work dialog to issue transitions. So when logging work in the transition screen, you are logging in JIRA. This worklog is then synced back to Tempo.

There is currently a problem within JIRA, so worklogs created on issue transition can take quite a long time to be synced to Tempo, see https://ecosystem.atlassian.net/browse/ACJIRA-1683

Regards,
Susanne 
Tempo team

Suggest an answer