Two identical filters

Shachar Tzuk-Bazak June 8, 2022

I have two filters that are basically the same (1st JQL is for the shorten key of the project, and the 2nd JQL is for the actual name of the project), caused by creating a scrum board in addition to the board already in the project. 

This resulted in have the roadmap illustrating only half of the sprints (the other half is in the parallel board). 

How can I delete/combine both filters/boards? 

2 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 8, 2022

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

That does not actually make any sense - "(the other half is in the parallel project). " - if the two filters are looking at the same project, what is the "parallel project"?  There's only one project here.

To "combine" filters, you create a new one which selects issues from both filters.  The most simple way is simply "<filter defintion 1> OR <filter definition 2>", but that can be inefficient and slow, it's better to understand and merge them.

If, for example, you had a pair like

Project = ABC and (status = to-do or label = poink)

Project = DEF and (status = to-do or label = narf)

then the easy combination is

(Project = ABC and (status = to-do or label = poink)) OR (Project = DEF and (status = to-do or label = narf))

But the efficient combination is

Project in (ABC, DEF) and (status = to-do or label in (poink, narf)

Your right! my bad - I meant "in the parallel board" 

0 votes
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 8, 2022

@Shachar Tzuk-Bazak hi, and welcome to the community!

You can always try a new JQL using the filter keyword. E.g.:

filter = "NAME_OF_YOUR_FILTER" OR filter = "NAME_OF_YOUR_FILTER" 

Of course you may also use the AND operator if that suit your needs.

Other than that, you can create a new filter with the combination of the two JQLs you have written.

Hope that helps!

Alex

@Alex Koxaras _Relational_  Thank you! 

Both filter are the same JQL, the difference is how the project is defined 

I mean - 

filters:

A: project = MYP ORDER BY Rank ASC

B: project = MyProject ORDER BY Rank ASC

So both board A (based on filter A), and SCRUM board A (based on filter B) exists. 
If I replace the filter in one to the other it won't change any of the issues (as it should), but it won't merge the sprints.

When I try to review the roadmap of the project I need to change the board to see sprints that are created in the other board, all while both boards are actually the same (scope-wise) 

How can I merge filter A and filter B/delete one of the boards without loosing the sprint information?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 8, 2022

The filters have nothing to do with sprints directly, they just tell the board what issues to work with.  The sprints are built from issues returned by the filters.

There is no "merge" of two filters that select for the same thing.

Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 8, 2022

I agree with Nick. Sprints do not correlate with boards per se. They are values in a field within the issue. And a filter returns issue. And a board is visualization of a filter.

You mean that you can't see issues with a specific sprint which belong to filter b when viewing the roadmap based on filter a? Can you share a screenshot or two?

board1.pngboard2.png

I meant: the second board shouldn't exists, as well as the second filter (filter A and filter B are equivalent). How can I merge/delete without loosing the sprint information and affiliation of the issues? 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events