Two accounts for the same email

Dave Cobb June 27, 2019

We have a handful of people that are using JIRA & Confluence (both cloud versions) that appear to have multiple accounts. This is only evident when adding to project role.

When listing in the users area they only appear as one user - so I'm a little confused by this.

This is causing issues as we end up having to a double up on applying permissions to users.

Is there a reason for this?

1 answer

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 27, 2019

I don’t see how this is possible? Have you verified this under Jira settings > user management and view the two users with same email?

Dave Cobb June 27, 2019

That's the thing, there isn't two users in user management, only the one.

It's at the point of allocating roles that it shows the same user twice when searching.

I would provide a screenshot, but don't want to disclose personal information on this forum.

Dave Cobb June 28, 2019

I've just invited another user to JIRA, when adding to a project the user appears twice:

FirstName.LastName

FirstName LastName

I don't know if this is because of the user is still in invite. Once the user has accepted the invite I'll check to see if it goes back to one account.

Kristjan Akkermann February 14, 2020

Same problem here!

Ananth Ganapathiraman July 2, 2020

@Jack Brickey This is costing us a lot actually. I do not like to provide multiple accounts for anyone in our company and I see right now an extra cost of 32 dollars as it costs $7 for Jira, $5 for Confluence, and $20 for Service desk for each additional user it seems to automatically create. We really cannot have a manual process in place every fortnight to check and delete duplicates and we are not sure if JIRA has already charged us at the time of user creation or at the end of calendar month. Please advise how we can avoid this problem

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 5, 2020

I suggest  you reach out to Atlassian Support 

Suggest an answer