Tutorial for implementing custom field (2024)

David Thomson February 9, 2024

Good evening, I have created a bunch of custom fields that I want to have on a specific issue type that is used in 3 projects, but I am failing.

Is it possible to get a complete list of steps needed to make this happen?

(Also, is there a current standard in depth tutorial on screens, schemes, screen schemes, issue type screen schemes, contexts and 'applicable context for scheme'?)

3 answers

0 votes
David Thomson February 10, 2024

Thank you all for your helpful suggestions. I will review the exam material later at some point, as it suggests having 1-2 years experience prior. Meanwhile, I'm summarizing my efforts thus far, as writing it out new processes generally helps me, going off of @Ignacio Aredez GenAI Expert post, and @Peter Klein :

I have made a 'Screen' (a custom arrangement of specific fields) that I want to show all actions of my new custom issue type that is available only in 3 projects. (I.e. I'll call it a custom Field Arrangement for simplification purposes during my initiation phase)

The 'Screen Scheme' allocates three possible actions to the Screen - Create, Edit, or View. Since I want the Screen to show on all 3 actions I might perform with my custom Issue, I have added all three actions to the Screen Scheme. (I.e., an Actions List, where I can specify my Field Arrangement to show for specific Issue actions).

Then I have to create a Issue Type Screen Scheme, which links an Issue to my Actions List (Screen Scheme). (I.e., an Action List Issue Link).

So now my custom Issue type is linked to my custom Field Arrangement, which is shown during the actions specified in the Actions List (all actions).

So I proceed to Step 5, and in the project's Issues/Screens page I see

ABC: Kanban Default Screen Scheme DEFAULT

ABC: Kanban Bug Screen Scheme

My target custom Issue is listed in the Kanban Default Screen Scheme. My issue here is that I still want all the other Issue types to follow their current default Screen Schemes, but have my custom Issue follow my new custom Screen / Screen Scheme / Issue Type Screen Scheme that I just made.

However, I cannot add my new Screen Scheme, or any new Screen Scheme, on this page, I can only edit or replace the default one. If I replace it, then I assume all the Issue types would follow my new custom Screen Scheme instead of the default one as they do now.

So I go back to my Custom Fields page in the global settings, and see that my Custom Field has got 1 screen, and 1 context (likely from earlier efforts). So I click on the 1 Screen, and select ABC: Kanban Default Screen Scheme, along with the 2 other projects the custom Field Arrangement will be seen with the custom Issue type.

Then I click on the context and see that 'This field will be available on issues of any type
in all projects', so I edit it, and specify the custom Issue type, and only the 3 projects I want it to be seen in.

So now when I create, edit or view the custom Issue in my select projects, I see my custom fields!

However, I have 20 custom fields that I have to manually edit their Screens and Contexts to include the 3 projects and the custom Issue.

There a shortcut for this?

Thinking about it now, I don't think my creating a new custom Screen / Screen Scheme / Issue Type Screen Scheme did anything in this process, was unnecessary, and all the work was done in the Custom Fields page, altering the Screen and Context for each custom field. 

Is this correct? I learned a bunch at least

... this is not correct, as the fields are not in proper order as per my Screen, so the issue is not resolved.

I think altering the Screens and Context from the Custom Fields page is another way to get the custom fields onto the proper Issues/Projects, but to arrange them properly you need a Screen.

So my beef now is replacing the default scheme with my new Screen in each project, because my new Screen isn't designed for Stories, only my new custom Issue, please advise.

0 votes
Jehan Bhathena
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 10, 2024

Hi @David Thomson ,

The other answers give a good explanation of how the fields work. Since you also wanted some sort of tutorial, share a few links that I used below:

* https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TniJjbDal0

* https://university.atlassian.com/student/path/1291934-acp-120-jira-administration-for-cloud-exam-success

0 votes
Ignacio Aredez GenAI Expert
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 9, 2024

Step 1: Create Custom Fields
Navigate to Jira Settings > Issues.
Under the Fields section, select Custom Fields.
Click Create custom field; choose the field type that suits your needs, and follow the prompts to add your custom field.
After creation, Jira will ask you to associate the field with screens. You might skip this step for now if you prefer setting it up later.

Step 2: Define Screens
In Jira Settings > Issues, go to the Screens section.
You can either modify existing screens or create new ones by clicking Add Screen.
Give your screen a name and description, then click Add.
Once your screen is created, add your custom fields to this screen by clicking on Configure next to the screen's name, and then Add Field to select your custom fields.

Step 3: Setup Screen Schemes
In the Screens section, select Screen Schemes.
Create a new Screen Scheme or edit an existing one by associating it with the screens you’ve configured for your operations (Create, Edit, View).
Associate the desired operations with your previously defined screens.

Step 4: Configure Issue Type Screen Schemes
Still under Screens, select Issue Type Screen Schemes.
Create a new scheme or edit an existing one, assigning your screen scheme to the specific issue type(s) you want to use the custom fields with.

Step 5: Associate with Projects
Finally, you need to associate the Issue Type Screen Scheme with your projects.
Go to Projects, select a project, then Project settings.
Under Screens, you’ll find an option to select the Issue Type Screen Scheme. Choose the scheme you’ve configured for your issue types

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Product Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events