Trying to share issue comments with non jira users - how do I enable anonymous access?

Monica Ross February 1, 2018

I'm looking to be able to share comments/issues with non jira users in my org. I found an article that says: 

"You can easily keep your team informed by using the  button to share an issue with other JIRA users. If your administrator has enabled anonymous access, you can also share issues by entering the email address of a non-JIRA user." 

However, when I tested this with a non-jira user email, it asked the person to log in as a jira user ( but obviously they don't have a jira account).  SO my question is how/where do I enable the anonymous access that this article referenced? I am the Jira admin. 

(article: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiracoreserver073/editing-and-collaborating-on-issues-861257335.html?_ga=2.81189463.1332524968.1517251809-1882700457.1515718985) 

1 answer

0 votes
Thomas Deiler
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 1, 2018

Dear @Monica Ross,

have a look at this question.

so long

Thomas

Thomas Deiler
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 5, 2018

Dear @Monica Ross,

have you solved your problem? Do you need some more help?

So long

Thomas

Monica Ross February 5, 2018

@Thomas Deiler yes, thank you so much! I am now able to share using the thread that you linked to for me. Now I am trying to figure out how to make a public dashboard (since my whole company is not on jira- only a few folks, but I need to communicate progress out to the various stakeholders) 

I edited the system dashboard, and am making sure all the filters are set to public, but when I copy the dashboard link and open it to test in an incognito window, the dashboard is blank. Any ideas on where else I should be checking settings? 

Thomas Deiler
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 6, 2018

Dear @Monica Ross,

glad to hear that you were successful.

About that dashboard you have shared. did you allow that "anybody" can see it? Can you make a screen shot of the anonymous view?

so long

Thomas

Monica Ross February 6, 2018

@Thomas Deiler 

It won't let me allow "public" to view it. In fact, even on a different dashboard that I made and set to  "public", still nothing shows when I share the URL.  I attached 3 screenshots below that might help you help me (lol)  diagnose the issue. I also specifically checked the filters on the board to make sure they were public or open to "anyone". What do you think I am doing wrong? I can send you the actual URL also if that helps. thank you SO SO much for your help 

1. manage dashboards settings page: Dashboards_Settings.png

2. Logged in user and can see the dashboard System_dashboard_-_logged_in.png

3. not logged in and only see a blank dashboard: blank_System_dashboard_-_Jira.png

4. public settings on one of the boards filters that are on the dashboard but still don't show from the url 

Public_settings_on_filter.png

Thomas Deiler
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 6, 2018

Dear @Monica Ross,

note to the first screen shot: you need the global permission:

Create Shared Objects: Permission to share a filter or dashboard globally or with groups of users. Also used to control who can create an agile board.

Then you see the "share" action for your dashboard. Do you have it? Can you ask an admin to give it to you?

So long

Thomas

Thomas Deiler
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 6, 2018

The board filter is set to pubic - that's fine. 

@Thomas Deiler I actually am an admin and i just checked the permissions and I have the admin group set to be able to to do this..See photos.. any other ideas?

User_management_-_Groups.pngGlobal_Permissions_-_Jira.png

Thomas Deiler
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 6, 2018

Just to get sure - the group administrators has the global permission "Create shared Obejcts"?

You can find the global permission at "System".

Thomas Deiler
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 6, 2018

Btw. Do you use Jira Cloud?

@Thomas Deiler yes we use cloud - i hope thats not the issue? But I am in my global permissions and don't see a specific global permission for "create shared objects". I only see the following (which is different than what is shown in the link you shared - not sure why?) : 

Administer Jira

Browse users and groups

Share dashboards and filters

Manage group filter subscriptions

Make bulk changes

Create independent projects

Thank you again so much for working through this with me! 

Thomas Deiler
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 6, 2018

Dear @Monica Ross,

it's different, because the linked article refers to server, not cloud. They differ in some points, not only there.

This is then the right article.

This was misleading: The article of your original question is pointing to a Jira Server article (version 7.3 - current 7.7.), not to cloud: This is the right one.

The chapter about sharing is different.

A cloud server is potential accessible from the whole world. Jira Server are most times located the intranet. That's the reason why they are different in that point, I guess.

So long

Thomas

Suggest an answer