Trouble with changing the password for users in Jira server

Christian Friis Holtebo May 22, 2023

Hi, 

I'm having some trouble with changing the password for one of our external users, the user is a bot and we need to get it up and running again and when i went to change the password, the option to do so didn't appear.

We're running Jira server 8.20.8 and the bot is in our Azure AD - external users Directory.  When i as an admin click on the user, the "Actions" menu doesn't show the option to change the password and i just checked, and it's the same with other users both internal and external. 

The bot already have Jira software permission and are part of the right groups. 
When the bot in question tries to log in they are met with this message:

Jira

Sorry, but we’re having trouble signing you in.

AADSTS50105: Your administrator has configured the application Jira ('5c0fbd02-3fd9-48e7-aa07-3bc1b1fec28a') to block users unless they are specifically granted ('assigned') access to the application. The signed in user 'BO-QGT@beo.com' is blocked because they are not a direct member of a group with access, nor had access directly assigned by an administrator. Please contact your administrator to assign access to this application.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 22, 2023

Hi @Christian Friis Holtebo 

I think you might be hitting similar problem to this one

https://confluence.atlassian.com/cloudkb/error-aadsts50105-encountered-when-logging-into-atlassian-cloud-1130726239.html

Make sure that Azure AD admins give necessary permission to the user.

Christian Friis Holtebo May 23, 2023

Just heard back from the guy using the bot and it doesn't appear that the problem was fixed. 

The account is part of the right groups and have a jira software license, so i don't understand what's blocking him from using the bot account. 

InkedMicrosoftTeams-image (1).jpg

I also followed the guide you linked me, but it didn't seem to have helped the problem. 

Christian Friis Holtebo May 24, 2023

Okay, so it turns out that your fix worked perfectly and the last problem i had with my user, was a misunderstanding with how he was supposed to log in to the account, i found out that we was trying to log in by using the Azure AD logon button and not the normal username/password way and that's what was preventing him from logging in, after i had added him to right application group.

Thanks for the help :D

Like Mirek likes this
Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 24, 2023

Hi @Christian Friis Holtebo 

Glad that the fix was helpful and you were able to solve it! Thank you for sharing information. 

Like Christian Friis Holtebo likes this

Suggest an answer