Triggering the creation of a new project when an issue transitions to Approved

Amy Lee March 15, 2019

Hi:

I would like to be able to trigger the creation of an entirely new project, when a given issue transitions to the Approved status and I'm wondering if anyone else has ever done this.

More detail:

I have a project ("CR") that tracks change requests. When a change request is approved, I would like to automatically spin off a new project ("DEV") that shares the settings of a "template" project that I have created. Currently, this would be a manual step. Not horrible, but streamlining the process would be great. I'm just not sure if this is possible.

As an added bonus, I would love to have the name of the new project set to the value of one of the custom fields on the CR project. 

We are currently running Jira Cloud, but will be moving to on-prem in the near future.

Thank you for any recommendations/solutions!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Thomas Deiler
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 16, 2019

Dear @Amy Lee ,

I would implement it with webhooks and the REST API.

• Add a Webhook Listener to the workflow for the approved status
  • create a script, called by the webhook, on a server that creates the new project by the REST API (POST /rest/api/2/project).

So long

Thomas

Amy Lee March 18, 2019

Thanks, Thomas!

Suggest an answer