Trigger project rule based on updates performed in global automation rule?

ihe May 28, 2021

Hi!

In the instance we have one global rule that automatically updates two custom fields, based on changed value in a third custom field. 

Global rule: When value changed in custom field A: update custom field B and C

In one project we want to use the potentially changed value in custom field B, as a trigger for running another project rule:

Project rule: When value changed in custom field B - send out email to user in Custom field B.

Question:

I still have not successfully been able for the project rule to trigger. I have ticked yes in: Allow rule trigger Check to allow other rule actions to trigger this rule. Only enable this if you need this rule to execute in response to another rule.

Is my assumption correct?:

for successful use of Allow rule triggers, both rules that are to work "together" have to be of the same type; meaning either both have to be project rules or both have to be global? 

Custom field types that are used in these rules:

1. Field A = single select
  2. Field B = user picker
  3. Field C = single select

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 28, 2021

Hi @ihe  - Your assumption looks correct to me. 

Is the second rule not firing at all? i.e. There is noting in the audit log when after rule 1 fires? 

Are you sure rule 2 is active? Have you done a simple test to change Field B direct - outside of Rule 1 firing? And does that work? 

ihe June 3, 2021

Hi again and sorry for my late reply. 

Rule 2 is active, yes. But not one update in the audit log.

When the field is manually updated, the automation runs as it should.

However, if the rule is to run based on an updated value (updated by automation rule nb 1), the second automation rule does NOT fire off. 

So...

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 3, 2021

Can you share screenshots of the actual rules? 

ihe June 3, 2021

Hi again John!

Below are two snapshots of the actual rules. 

Rule 1 is a huge one, intended content so long that I had to split into two rules in order for all the actions to fit. The rule works like a charm. As you can see, the field ASAccountable (user picker field) is updated by rule 1. 

In order to reduce future adjustments of sending notifications, my plan was to use the updated value in ASAccountable (rule 1), to fire off an email to that person mentioned in ASAccountable (rule 2). I have tried all sorts of configurations of rule 2 over the last couple of weeks here now, and finally I now have had to "hard code" who is to receive an email, using the conditions in Rule 1 as a trigger.

At first I was sure the problems was connected to the automation rules being of different "types", meaning multi-project and single project specific. But now I am starting to think that it has to do with the actual fields; them being custom fields and not Atlassian issued fields? 

Screenshot 2021-06-04 at 08.30.37.png

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 4, 2021

So, what if you edited Rule 1 to do a re-fetch action after you update the ASAccountable field (same level under the IF), and then add your Email action under that with the Send to going to the ASAccountable field value? 

Like Bill Sheboy likes this
ihe June 6, 2021

How exactly does one set up a re-fetch action? I have tried to include email notification-action within same rule, but since the field is to be updated in same rule I only get errors...

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 7, 2021

Re-fetch is just another New Action type in the automation tool - just like Send an Email or Edit Issue, etc. Just scroll down on the list of actions until you find it. 

ihe June 8, 2021

Wonderful! How can I have missed that!

It has really been bugging me for quite a while now (that I couldn´t send notifications directly from the main rule). I have now configured it as a test and am eager to receive status from my testuser :-) Thanks heaps for your input John!

Like John Funk likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 8, 2021

Happy to help! And I hope that works for you.  :-)

Suggest an answer