Transitions in JIRA by mail

Pedro J. Acosta February 2, 2021

Hello everyone,
Is there natively in JIRA the possibility of making status transitions in issues by mail without the need for the user to log into the application?

Regards.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 2, 2021

Hi Pedro,

The work around I have done is using a series of Automation For Jira rules.

One rule will send an email to the Approvers which includes an Approve and Decline button in the email. The user clicks on the Approve button which opens a response in email with a comment something like I approve this request.

Then the user just has to click send. So the user gets the email, opens it, clicks on Approve (or Decline) which opens a response and the user just clicks Send. 

Then I have another Automation rule that fires when a new comment is added to an issue. If the comment has the key words like I approve, then it fires a Transition Issue action. 

It's clunky, but it works.

Having said all of that, I think that the JSM folks are working an open feature request for Cloud to be able to Approve (i.e. Transition) and issue by email. You can follow along here:
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDCLOUD-4349

Tessa Tuteleers
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 3, 2021

On Server, approvals can be given out of email already without workarounds. 
However, that only works for JSM approvals, not any other transition. 

Nice workaround though! Wil keep in mind! 
Do you have any safety measures in place that "normal" comments don't trigger  those transitions? (userbased,..)

e.g. "Can you ask xx to approve this asap" -> triggers approval transition

Like John Funk likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 4, 2021

I actually check for the full text - I approve this request

and just the word approve.  :-)

0 votes
Tessa Tuteleers
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 2, 2021

Hi @Pedro J. Acosta , 

a very similar question has been asked on the community a while ago, perhaps you can find your answer in the responses there
If not, please let me know and we can look into it! 

Have a great day, 
- Tessa

Pedro J. Acosta February 2, 2021

Hello Tessa,

Thank you very much for responding so quickly, i saw this question a long time ago but being so old I wanted to know if there was any other option that was not using the JEMH plugin.

Regards.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
VERSION
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events