Transition linked task in another project

Ş. Sercan Soydan March 24, 2023

First of all, I'm a total newbie of Jira automation, so please forgive and feel free to correct any terminology mistakes I would make. 

I have a development project called DEV and I have another project called TEST. 

For sake of simplicty, let's assume that tasks in DEV board has these possible states: 

backlog > in development > qa test > done

And TEST board has these possible states

to do > failed > in progress > done

I've managed to automate the DEV board to create a clone of the tasks in TEST board which are transitioned to the qa test status. 

Now what I want to achieve is this: 

- When a task in TEST board transitions to DONE from IN_PROGRESS, the related task in DEV board should transition to DONE.

- When a task in TEST board transitions to FAILED from IN_PROGRESS, the related task in DEV board should transition to BACKLOG.

- When a task in DEV board transitions to QA TEST from IN_PROGRESS, one of two things should happen: 

a. if task in DEV board already has a clone in TEST board, it should transition to TO DO

b if task in DEV board does not have a clone in TEST board, it should create a clone in TEST board. 

I wonder if that's possible? And if so, how can I achieve that? 

Transition linked task in another project

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Phillip Spode March 24, 2023

For starters you want something like this, and then build from it. Create an automation rule for each of your own rules to keep it simple.

Annotation 2023-03-24 121204.png

Ş. Sercan Soydan March 28, 2023

Thanks a lot, For Linked Issues was the missing part to my puzzle. 

1 vote
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 24, 2023

Hi Sercan - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Let's take these a one at a time as you will need multiple rules. 

Let's deal with the issue in the TEST board moving from DONE To IN PROGRESS.

Create an Automation Rule based on an Issue Transitioned Trigger - use the two statuses as you describe.

Then add a Branch based on Linked Issues

Under the Branch add an action for Transition Issue and then add the statuses that you describe for the action in the DEV board. 

Do that one and test it. Then see if you can do the others based on what you have learned. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events