Transition Validation with automation

Anush Chatikyan April 23, 2024

Hi there i need to creat validation fop  A ticket status transition in case we have linked B ticket with X status,and have a message about the reason ,  SO i have wandered is it possible to just validate the status transition via automation, i have found a lot of ways to bring back the status and adding comment about the reason, but i need to not allow to make the transition happen. 

2 answers

1 vote
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 23, 2024

Hello @Anush Chatikyan 

No, it is not possible to prevent a status change using an Automation Rule. An Automation Rule is triggered by a completed event. The rule can't be triggered until the transition is completed.

You could use an Automation Rule to check if a given issue has linked B tickets that are in Status X, and update a custom field in the A ticket that indicate that is the case. The Validation in the rule could then check that custom field. You would need to have an Automation rule that would also clear that custom field when it is appropriate to do so.

Alternately you may find a third party app that extends the validation capabilities in Workflows, enabling you to put a check of linked issue statuses directly into the Workflow transition.

Are you willing to consider getting a third party app for this?

0 votes
Floating electron
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 23, 2024

Hi @Anush Chatikyan

If you are open to using apps and looking for a ready-to-use solution. We've developed the Linked Issues Validator available as part of the Workflow Building Blocks for Jira free app. With a wizard-like UI, you can select options that represent your case and get it done very quickly.

community_23.04_linked.pngI would also consider using status category instead of statuses.

I hope it will help.

Cheers

Anush Chatikyan April 25, 2024

HI @Floating electron  thanks for helping, but i have question , as i need to put the validation FIR Issue A if the Issue B status is in waiting for information status, what in that case how i need to configure it. as the app you have provided is already fixed configurated and i am not able to make my personal validations 

Floating electron
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 25, 2024

Hi @Anush Chatikyan

What would be the relationship between issue A and B in your case? I'm not sure if I understand correctly. Do you want to validate against a specific issue key?

Beside the Linked Issues Validator, Workflow Building Blocks for Jira comes also with Jira Expression Validator, where you can build your custom expressions using Jira Expression language.

If you can elaborate more about details of the case you want to solve I will try to help you build the expression you need.

Cheers

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events