Transition STORY when ALL Development Tasks are "Done"

Karol Urbaniak January 9, 2020

Hi!

We want to change the status of a parent issue (STORY) when the status of ALL of its children (Development Tasks) changes. Under STORY we have from 1 to sometimes 8 Development Tasks. When some of Dev Tasks is in progress the STORY is in progress too. Our need is that we want to have trigger that transition status of STORY to next (Ready for IT Tests) when all Dev Tasks under it are in status "Done". A try to make it, but now status STORY changes every time when some Dev Task under STORY was finish (but others Dev Tasks are still In Progress). Maybe someone have a idea? :-)

Now I have that:

Zrzut ekranu 2020-01-9 o 14.02.32.png

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Pete Singleton
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 9, 2020

Example here:

Project automation.png

Pete, I try that thing, but this is for Sub-tasks. I change it for Development Task (I don't know is it good now) and it's not working. Could you check it?

Zrzut ekranu 2020-01-9 o 16.04.06.png

Pete Singleton
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 9, 2020

How are the Development Tasks linked to Stories?

They are linked like normal tasks / defects and this link is called "Developments":

Zrzut ekranu 2020-01-9 o 16.16.27.png

Pete Singleton
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 9, 2020

Then, instead of using the "For Parent" rule, choose the "For Linked issues" rule, and select your link type.

I would suggest though, that if all Development Tasks always sit under stories, that you use a sub-task issue type for them instead of a standard issue type.

Karol Urbaniak January 13, 2020

I did as you wrote, but it still doesn't work. I think something on the second step is wrong "If: Compare two values". 

I will write it again, maybe I made a mistake and it will be easier to diagnose the problem:

- When a Development Task is connected to STORY with link type „Developments" is moved from status „In Progress" or "Code Review" to status "Done”, then JIRA automate should check if there are other Development Tasks under this STORY with link type „Developments". If the others are already in the status „Done”, then they should override the entire STORY to the status „Ready for IT Tests" and if any Development Task is in a different status than "Done", then STORY should remain in its status („In Progress”).

Additional info:

- STORY changes status from "In Progress" to "Ready for IT Tests"

- Development Tasks are linked to STORY with the link type "Developments", while STORY are connected to Development Tasks as link „type This Development relates to”.

Here's what my automate looks like now:

Zrzut ekranu 2020-01-13 o 14.19.46.png

I did as you wrote, but it still doesn't work. I think something on the second step is wrong "If: Compare two values". 

I will write it again, maybe I made a mistake and it will be easier to diagnose the problem:

- When a Development Task is connected to STORY with link type „Developments" is moved from status „In Progress" or "Code Review" to status "Done”, then JIRA automate should check if there are other Development Tasks under this STORY with link type „Developments". If the others are already in the status „Done”, then they should override the entire STORY to the status „Ready for IT Tests" and if any Development Task is in a different status than "Done", then STORY should remain in its status („In Progress”).

Additional info:

- STORY changes status from "In Progress" to "Ready for IT Tests"

- Development Tasks are linked to STORY with the link type "Developments", while STORY are connected to Development Tasks as link „type This Development relates to”.

Finally I found a solution and now trigger works as i want. Here you have the pattern:

Zrzut ekranu 2020-01-22 o 09.12.34.png

Suggest an answer