Transition Failed

Shashwini Nair March 20, 2023

Hi, 

I'm creating a project in Jira work management for team leaders. When they fill up their audit form, I want the form automatically move to their respective manager's queue. This is how I created the workflow: 

Work flow.jpg

This is the error I'm getting:

Automation error.jpg

This my code: 

Automation rule.jpgAutomation Rule 2.jpg

Looking at the automation history, the issue is keep transitioning from one status to another- not sure why it's happening. Even though it does that, still it's not transitioning to the correct status.

Status change.jpg

Does anyone know how to fix this? 

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Shashwini Nair March 21, 2023

I think I fixed the issue. I had to delete an existing rule and re-create it. Apparently for some reason that particular rule gets executed in every loop even though it is not called for. Deleting it solved the issue. Thanks for your help @Trudy Claspill and @Benjamin

Benjamin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 22, 2023

You welcome. Glad it all worked out. Sometimes the process of elimination helps. 

-Ben

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 20, 2023

Hello @Shashwini Nair 

Is this for a Team Managed project or for a Company Managed project? That information is available at the bottom of the navigation panel on the left when you view the project.

Do the images of the steps in your Automation Rule show us the complete rule? If not please provide images to show the complete rule.

From what you have shared It appears that your transition is the last thing you do and it is outside the scope of the If/Else block. Is that correct?

In your workflow you have have multiple possible transitions from To Do to "<somebody> Review". Do each of those transitions have conditions on them within the workflow? If so, what are the conditions?

The last statement in the rule audit log is basically saying that the transition that it is trying to execute can't be done. It says it can't resolve the ID number with one that is valid and available in the associated workflow. I suspect there is a problem in the flow of your automation rule such that the transitions are not within the scope of the if/else blocks properly, and the commands to execute the transitions are not valid based on the current status of the issue at the time the command tries to execute.

@Trudy Claspill it’s a team managed project. The images I have attached show the complete rule. Yes, the transition is the last thing I want to happen. Correct, I have multiple transitions from To Do in my workflow. And I don’t have any conditions set up yet. 

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 20, 2023

Thank you for sharing that it is a Team Managed project. That is an important point.

In your Workflow have you added any Rules to those Transitions?

Screen Shot 2023-03-20 at 5.35.34 PM.png

To be clear, this is all you have in your rule?

TRIGGER: When Issue Created
If: matches: Issue Type = David
ACTION: Then: Edit Summary field
Else-If: matches: Issue Type = Matthew
ACTION: Then: Edit Summary field
ACTION: Then: Transition Issue to "Tyler...Review"

If that is all you have for that rule, then it is not that rule that caused the issue for which you have shown History to transition from To Do > Sam...Review > Mark...Review. It is possible one or more other rules were triggered that caused those transitions. For that issue if you click on the Rule Executions field...

Screen Shot 2023-03-20 at 5.26.57 PM.png

That will show you the history of rule executions for the issue.

Screen Shot 2023-03-20 at 5.27.40 PM.png

Regarding the error you see in the Rule's Audit Log...

Did you change the workflow statuses available in the project after you created the rule, removing and then re-adding the "Tyler...Review" status?

Did you change the Project specified in the Rule Details, picking a different project against which the rule would run?

The error message indicates the unique ID (10637) associated with the Status value you picked ("Tyler...Review") doesn't match to any available status in the project where the rule ran. For Team Managed projects the Status values in each project will have unique ID numbers even if they have the exact same text label as a status value used in another project.

If you have done either of the two things I mentioned above, then the ID of the status value you are trying to set is different then when you originally created the rule. You need to go to the rule step where you select the Transition value you want to set, you need to go to that step and re-select the value you want and re-save the step and re-publish the rule.

Shashwini Nair March 21, 2023

@Trudy Claspill I don't have any rules created in my workflow. I did delete the status after setting up the rules to debug the issue. But, I also re-created the rules. Looking at the rule executions, it does show that multiple rules were executed leading one was successfully performed while the other had some errors. What I don't understand here is why multiple rules are being executed when the logic is made only for specific issue type? What can I do to fix that?

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 21, 2023

If you think that the other rules should not have executed for that particular issue, those other rules need to be examined. The fact that other rules did execute indicates there was an event for the issue that triggered the other rule(s) and the issue matches whatever the conditions are on those other rules.

If you show us the details of those other rules and the details of the issue for any conditions in those other rules we can help you debug that.

0 votes
Benjamin
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 20, 2023

Hi @Shashwini Nair ,

What issue type are you using? Based on your automation, your issue types are named with people's names. Is this what is intended?

Makes sure your automation doesn't trigger other automation as this can cause multiple transition or a loop.

I would recommend starting with one condition and test the condition first. Then expand to see locate the issue might be.

Thanks,

Ben

Yes, the issue types intentionally named after people’s name. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events