Tracking automation for time spent on subtasks

Daniel August 31, 2022

Hi everyone, 

Not sure if this is possible but Im trying to create an automation that fills in time spent in a subtasks with it's original estimate (or the time remaining) when task is moved to done. 

Currently I have this automation set up:

Screen Shot 2022-08-31 at 3.34.42 PM.png

The problem is that it takes the original estimate from the story not the subtask. So for example if the original estimate is 1 hour for the subtasks but 10 hours in the story then it will show 1 day and 2 hours time spent instead of 1 hour.

Does anyone know if there's something I can do to solve this?

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 31, 2022

Hi @Daniel 

Use the following rule:

log work subtask.png

Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 31, 2022

However, keep in mind that log work will be made from "Automation for Jira" actor.

Daniel August 31, 2022

Amazing it worked!! Thank you

Community Leader
Community Leader
August 31, 2022

I'm glad that it worked! Kindly mark my answer as accepted, in order to help others who have a similar question to yours :)

Cheers!

0 votes
Chirag March 9, 2023

Hello @Alex Koxaras _Relational_ ,

I am trying something similar with little change. We do not use sub-tasks instead link tasks to story. Example below:

• Story 1 - This is the main story
    • Task 1 - These are NOT sub-tasks but just a 'linked issue' to the story 1
    • Task 2 
    • Task 3

My team puts in the estimates and time spent against each task. While nothing is logged on story level.

But If I want to view the total of 'time spent' for task 1, 2 & 3 on story 1. How can I do that ?

Chirag March 9, 2023

Sorry for adding it as an answer and not reply to the last post :(

Community Leader
Community Leader
March 9, 2023

@Chirag I would suggest that you create a new question on the community about this

Like # people like this
Chirag March 9, 2023

Sure,

Just posted here :  log hours into Story from from linked tasks 

Thank you,

Chirag.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL