Tracking Children of a parent issue shared between projects

Albert Arul Prakash Rajendran March 18, 2021

Team, 

Need help in a scenario on how i can have a single view tracking when children issues are shared in multiple projects. Following is the scenario

Business Initiative: ABC-102

Epic 1: HARD-1101 - For mobile project building mobile app

Epic 2: FIRM-1293 - specific solution from Firm based project .

Epic 3: BANG-4839 - Specific solution from Another group specific to their business area.

these three epics are linked with Business Initiative ABC-102

each epic have their own stories/feature/functionalities which is developed by independent project/ business team across the organization. 

Now I need to have a view where, business initiative ABC status to include these three different project's epic status

Is there any way? 

Note: newbie to JIRA (all these days i was just a user who use jira to update my status. Now upgraded to bring more visibility)

4 answers

1 vote
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 4, 2021

Hi @Albert Arul Prakash Rajendran

depending on if you are willing to switch to a premium plan "Advanced Roadmaps" (https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/guides/roadmaps/advanced-roadmaps) could be an option.

It's hard to tell if all requirements will be met (current and probably ones your team will have in future) but you could have a look at the solution and if you want also a trial.
From experience I can say that if Advanced Roadmaps should be a match for your team and you should have questions later on there are many skilled people here in Community able to help you when you want to know something specific.

Regards,
Daniel

Albert Arul Prakash Rajendran September 28, 2021

Will need to check with my IT about investment also. 

Currently using subramanyam answer and some customization to it, created a JQL that brings a single view. 

Only issue is performance of that query and associated portfolio plan. 

0 votes
Rahul_RVS_Support
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 14, 2021

Hi @Albert Arul Prakash Rajendran 

For a readymade solution you can try out our plugin to track progress of issues in your cross projects Links and their status as well

Agile Tools - Epic Tree, Links Tree and Time in Status 

The add-on allows you to visualize your Links hierarchy with option to view all your custom fields on a single screen.

Key features of Links Hierarchy:

• Portfolio/Adv Roadmaps hierarchy above Epics
  • Links Hierarchy upto 10 levels deep
  • Progress % on "remaining estimate" or "original estimates"
  • Edit Issue summary, time estimates, story points and assignee on the tree with real time updates in the progress
  • Rolled up percentage completion at all levels
  • Ability to add/remove the columns on the report

You get multiple other features as below in the same app

• More than 8 types of Time in Status Reports. Excel Export available for all status reports.
  • Epic Hierarchy / Sum Up (Standard Jira Hierarchy Epic -> Story -> SubTask)
  • Worklogs Report
  • Timesheet Entry screen
  • Dashboard gadgets for all the reports

Links Hierarchy.png

0 votes
Daniel Turczanski - __JQL Search Extensions
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 14, 2021

Hi @Albert Arul Prakash Rajendran ,

With standard JQL, you can only create static queries that use the hard-coded issue keys. This works fine if you want to do a one-off analysis. If your use case is more dynamic than that, look beyond standard Jira.

Standard JQL doesn't easily allow it, but you can quickly find the results using our professional indexing service JQL Search Extensions

After you install the app, you can use dynamic linking and hierarchy functions:

issue in linkedIssuesOfQuery("type=Initiative")
issue in childrenOfIssuesInQueryRecursive('filter='Epics of my initiatives'')

Check out the documentation for more examples.

I hope this helps!
Daniel

0 votes
G subramanyam
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 19, 2021

Hi @Albert Arul Prakash Rajendran welcome to the Atlassian Community forum.

In order to address your query, I would suggest using a JQL like this: 

project = "ABC-102" AND "Epic Link" in  ("HARD-1101", "FIRM-1293", "BANG-4839") OR parent in ("HARD-1101", "FIRM-1293", "BANG-4839") OR parent in linkedIssues ("HARD-1101", "FIRM-1293", "BANG-4839") if you need all tasks recursively.

Albert Arul Prakash Rajendran March 19, 2021

Thanks Subramanyam.

A business initiative project might have multiple initiatives and would be tracked at a much higher level in the org. 

now, hardcoding the IDs, would bring lot of modifications (eveyr time) & also error prone.

is there a way for building something generic 

G subramanyam
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 19, 2021

Then the best idea I can think (you need to work with Jira admin) is to configure a work flow with "Features" at organization level which spans across projects and create a master board with multiple projects. This way we can have a helicopter view of projects progress as well status of tasks.

There can be better answers or suggestions and let's hear it out from other leader's.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events