Track commits for a Jira ticket

Yusuf Doctor June 9, 2022

I was looking into how to track commits on your jira ticket by using issue keys. But I have noticed that it is working fine for some tickets but not working for some tickets.

Is there anything that needs to be updated in repo settings or in the jira ticket? We use the same format given in the sample 'git commit -m "PS-344 <message>"' but it is not working for some jira tickets.

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 13, 2022

Hi,

I understand that some commits do not appear on looking at these issues within Jira.  There is possibly a permissions check in play that could cause this.  it's noted within the documentation, Process issues with smart commits: Notes :

• A DVCS such as Git includes a user's email address in the commit data. Users configure this email address in their local system. Smart Commits requires that this email address match exactly one email address in the Jira Software user base. If the email address matches to multiple users in Jira Software, or the user does not have permissions for the requested action, the Smart Commit action will fail. The commit itself will succeed however, and will show on the issue. Mismatched email addresses is a common reason why Smart Commits fail to work as expected. If a Smart Commit fails, Jira Software sends an email notification to either the Jira Software user, or to the DVCS user (if a Jira Software user can't be identified). In rare cases, Jira Software doesn't have either of these email addresses, and the Smart Commit fails silently.

So the first thing to check is make sure that you're using the same email address for both git and Jira.  If you are using the same credits and can see both the commit and the Jira issue, then there is one more possibility.  The project permissions within Jira could also be adjusted to prevent you from seeing this.  Permissions for company-managed projects from that page:

View development tools

Permission to view the development panel, which provides you with just enough information to evaluate the status of an issue's build data in a connected development tool, at a glance. Learn more about the development panel.

This permission depends on product access to Jira Software. Learn more about giving people access to your Atlassian products.

If you are an admin in Jira, then I'd recommend using the Permission helper to see if you have the needed permissions to see that data.  That utility lets you input an issuekey, a user account, and a permission type.  You could use this to make sure your account has that "View development tools" for that issue.  If it does not, that utility can provide you quick links to make that change.

Andy

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events