To display parent task estimation based on sub-task estimation

Vimal July 15, 2015

I have 2 sub-tasks with estimates. When I open the parent ticket it shows the sum of all sub-task estimates.

But, when I see the parent task in agile board, it shows nothing.

Is there a way to display the total estimation in the plan mode and work mode for Parent issues in the agile boards

3 answers

1 vote
William Crighton _CCC_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 20, 2015

uhhh.....I uh....you know, I think I'm just going to have to go ahead and disagree with you there Nic. With all due  respect you understand.

Now.... pavan kumar - you (like about 99% of all posters to answers...)

<rant>

I'm thinking the field is ripe for an embedded answers plugin allowing you to post your answer from within the tool - and so it'd grab all the OTHER  info needed and I get tired of asking for...bah...

</rant>

did bother to tell us anything about the version of JIRA you are running or the install type (on-premise, or server installation, or Atlassian Cloud). So I'm going to guess server version and installed v6.2.4. With that there are some options for displaying some data from the sub-tasks but you have to get into java-scripting and all-in-all I feel it's a klunky kinda 'solution' for a perfectly reasonable request (I can hear the haters now) that just happens to go somewhat against certain fundamental tenants of the Agile Development Methodology.

One of the main problems is that while in normal JIRA a story can be set to display the total estimate as a sum of the stories original estimate and all of it's subtask's estimates. However, when displaying these issues in JIRA Agile all you would see (if the story had an original estimate > 0) would be the stories estimate.

The issue to resolve this minor issue in JIRA Agile is here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/GHS-9167

• Note the number of votes (575 when I looked) and the age 3+ years
  • There's a L O T going on behind the scenes here that is extremely odd given Atlassian's 'no bullshit' company motto and general 'fuck the standards, let's make something that'll rock' approach to doing things. From what I can tell - and not only must you take this with a grain of salt you'll have to follow that up with the rest of the handful AND the tequila shot...cause I'm speculating into the great unknown here...but anyway, while it's entirely possible to configure the tool to allow subtask's to be nothing more than a 'lil' story' with a special display WRT the parent story it hasn't been done and Atlassian is showing few if any signs that it's going to make this change. And that Reason? It violates the basic underlying tenants of the Agile Software Methodology - a sprint is something in which you can complete everything you plan, and a story is defined as something you can complete in a single sprint. Therefore, there's no reason to allow this change, and to the crystal ball advocates down-under I'm sure plenty of REASONS to NOT allow this change in how it would corrupt and destroy edifices around the holy church of the agile.
Personally? It's hobgoblins. Some kind of stupid hobgoblin that eats on foolish consistencies. It'll eventually be root caused as such or similar and if someone hasn't already (by that time) Atlassian will go ahead and allow customers to use JIRA Agile in whatever way customers want to use it by keeping (at a minimum) the functionality consistent across the different sections of the tool.

but, as usual, I digress...

First, how to do it: Reference this post where the details are laid out and if questions come up please create additional answers posts.

uggg....ok, this took much longer / is much harder than I thought and most likely won't work for you and Nic's answer will  go on, for a while longer, as being the 'correct' one. However....This comment contains javascript code that does the following:

Using Javascript this adds a new button on the planning board and sums each stories subtasks and then updates the stories original estimate. It's old, and after the initial applause I remember comments about problems.

Then after a little while someone wrote a groovy script that does basically the same thing throughout the day. That Comment is located here:

shit, that got long. Oh well, hopefully it'll be useful to somebody.

-wc

William Crighton _CCC_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 20, 2015

Oh yea, found thiis page as well regarding alternative solutions: * https://riada.se/blog/sana/estimate-your-sub-tasks-in-jira-agile/

0 votes
Ivan Tkachenko December 12, 2018

Hi all, this is how I resolved this issue:

Board Settings -> Card layout -> Choose 'Σ Original Estimate' / 'Σ Remaining Estimate'

Hope this will be helpful! Screenshot-1.png

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 15, 2015

In Agile, you're not expected to estimate at a sub-task level.  In plain JIRA, you can, and that's where the toggle comes from, but it's not supported in Agile.

Suggest an answer