To create a new agile issue type or modify the existing ones; that is the question

tangramconsult October 30, 2013

I'm a fairly experienced Jira user, an evangelist of the product, but a relatively new Jira admin/developer.

I'm looking to add some information to the standard user story issue type in Jira, and trying to figure out the best approach for this. I've created a few additional fields, and now I have the choice between modifying the existing user story issue type, and creating a new issue type.

My personal preference would be to "clone" the gh.issue.story issue type and modify the clone; alas, cloning of an issue type doesn't seem to be an option. Alternatively, I could create a new issue type, and try to configure it in exactly the same manner as the gh.issue.story, but I'm concerned that I might lose some functionality that is based on the gh.issue.story type itself, of that I might miss a field in my translation.

Is there a "best practice" for this kind of problem, or is the approach really one of personal preference/risk-reward analysis?

1 answer

1 vote
Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 30, 2013

Hi Dan,

All custom fields you create in Jira are available for all issues, (so also for the issues of issue type story). What you need to do is make them availble through the different screens.

This can be done by creating a new Screen Scheme where you add your newly created custom fields onto the existing screens.

The best way to test this would be to take a copy of the Default Screen Scheme and the Screens within and edit those screens (you can simply add your fields to them).

Then you create an issue type screen scheme where you map your Story issue type onto your new screen scheme.

Some more information about this can be found here : https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+Fields+and+Screens

Best regards,

Peter

tangramconsult October 30, 2013

Peter,

Thanks so much for the answer. I was thinking about associating fields incorrectly; your comments have clarified the way I am thinking.

Suggest an answer