Time used in a project

Laurenz Zeller January 25, 2023

Hi, 

I would like to get a chart which shows me the amount of time that was used in a specific team-managed project. 

Every task in our projects provides the field "time tracking" where the Task-Owner enters the time which has been needed for this task. 

At the end of the project I would like to know how much time the project has consumed. 

Is there any possibility to get this information?

3 answers

1 vote
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 25, 2023

Hello @Laurenz Zeller 

Welcome to the Atlassian community!

There is not a built in report for that.

You could do a search for the issues in the project and export the data to CSV/Excel. The Time Spent for each issue will be included in the exported data. You could then use another product, like Excel, to total up that time.

Alternately you can review the Time reporting third party apps available from the Atlassian Marketplace.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/search?hosting=cloud&product=jira&query=time%20tracking

I have used Worklogs - Time Tracking and Reporting  and found it to be very easy to use.

Laurenz Zeller January 25, 2023

Hello @Trudy Claspill 

Thank you for your response!

I have tried both suggestions but failed: 

1. By exporting the data in the "Filter-Section" to excel, the time spent for a task is not included in this sheet. But exporting the data to CSV or Word works -> time is involved. Unfortunately, I need it necessarily in Excel.  

2. Worklogs could be the right tool for that but I faced a problem too: IT only shows the amount of hours of my account. Even though I have selected other accounts, which have worked on the project (and spent time) it says they have 0h. 

Unbenannt.PNG

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 26, 2023

Hello Laurenz,

When I look at the Export options from the Advanced Search Issue screen I see this.

Screen Shot 2023-01-26 at 8.09.32 AM.png

If I choose "Export Excel CSV (all fields)" then I get the Time Spent field for each issue. The value is in seconds.

Can you provide screen images to show that the worklogs for issues in the project for the other users you specified in your report? We would need to see the dates of the worklogs and enough of the name of the user in the worklog and in your Worklogs report to confirm they are the same person.

Like Dave Rosenlund likes this
Dave Rosenlund
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 26, 2023

Hi, @Laurenz Zeller.  I just want to second what @Trudy Claspill has already suggested and highlight the fact that Jira's out-the-box time tracking is usually not sufficient for anything more than very rudimentary time tracking.  

That's why, as Trudy correctly pointed out there are number of competing solutions available on the Atlassian Marketplace.

I.e., Many have blazed this trail before you and the Atlassian Marketplace is a great place to find complementary solutions.

-dave

0 votes
Katarina Harbuzava _ Planyway
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 26, 2023

Hey @Laurenz Zeller !

Jira has no project reporting option by default, that's why I will highly recommend you to install Planyway team planner. Planyway has time tracking reports that can be filtered out by project, or by member. Then you can export your project report to CSV, or to Excel.

Check how it looks:

reports in jira by planyway.png

Moreover Planyway is absolutely free for teams of up to 10 members. 

I hope it could help you. :)

0 votes
Gracjan Wesołowski _HeroCoders_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 26, 2023

Hi @Laurenz Zeller 

Welcome to the community :)

If you would like to consider using third-party apps I can recommend you our Clockwork Automated Time Tracking & Timesheets Free app.

You are able to show in Timesheet the accumulated Time Spend on specific projects for declared timestamp, and also export all the worklogs to the excel file, which will contain issues from the project with time spent value. Please see the example below:
CLK_comm.PNG
If you have any questions you can contact us via our help center.

Cheers!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events