Time tracking on transition

Philip Meier November 20, 2011

Hi there,

Greenhopper is advertised as beeing able to automatically track the time on transition, so if I move a task from say the "In Development" column to the "Done" colum it should record the time between the first transition to the last. Can someone tell me where I can configure this?

Also, where does it give me statistics about how long a task remains in which column?

Thanks!

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nicholas Muldoon
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 29, 2011

Hi Philip,

You can achieve what you want with the Control Chart on the Rapid Board. Add a quick filter for Story and another for Epic, and one for any other task you need to track. Then you can use the "Refine..." option on the Control Chart to select specific columns to report on, as well as whether you are looking at stories or epics or both.

No need to export to Excel.

Thanks,
Nicholas

Philip Meier November 30, 2011

Call me blind, but I can't find the refine option in the control chart. I see that the documentation says it should be there http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/GH/Tutorial+-+Tracking+a+Kanban+Team

I created the filters, do I have to assign them somehow?

Philip Meier November 30, 2011

Call me blind but I can't seem to find the refine option, though the documentation has a screenshot where it is shown.

0 votes
Nicholas Muldoon
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 1, 2011

Hi Philip,

Please ensure that you are on GreenHopper 5.8.x (latest version is 5.8.3 at writing).

Thank you,
Nicholas

0 votes
Nicholas Muldoon
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 27, 2011

Hi Philip,

Is your team a Kanban team? If so, you will want to use the Cycle Time report on the Rapid Board to identify the time that an issue spends in progress.

Also, on the Rapid Board you can see dots on the bottom of each card, showing the number of days that that task has been in a particular column.

Thanks Philip.

Regards,
Nicholas Muldoon

Philip Meier November 27, 2011

Hi Nicholas,

yes, we are a Kanban team. Is saw the cycle time which comes with the rapid board, but it is not nearly enough. For this to make sense I have to see which ticket type (eg. Story/Epic) has which cycle time. Also, I am also interested in seeing not only how long a task was in progress but for instance how long it takes tasks to go from the backlog to QS and how long from there to DONE. I found an addon (I think Jira Tools) which shows this information next to a task, but there seems no way to export it for something like a complete filter, then I could at least work with the data in Excel.

Regards,

Philip

Suggest an answer