Time tracking in a Next Gen Project

Marcos Tapia January 24, 2019

I'm in IT Security and find the features in the Next-Gen project great. My only issue is that I can't track time... 

I know it can be done in the classic mode, but the views in next gen work much better for me. 

Is there a way to track time in the next gen project?

I would need this time to also be reportable. At the very least If i could export to a .csv file I could do it in excel.  

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Eoin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 14, 2021

It's possible to

• Add the "Time tracking" field to an Issue Type in next-gen Project settings.
  • Log time and Time remaining from the Issue View
  • Have logged time show up in the Worklogs

We have not yet built the time tracking report although it will be something we make available in the future - most likely 1+ year time frame.

Thanks

Eoin

LilaTournier March 24, 2021

This is only valid per ticket / issue, however, how do you get a report on remaining time for the sprint itself? 

Like Rafael Alves likes this
3 votes
lchausse June 12, 2020

Hello all,

Can we have an update on this..

JSWCLOUD-17447 is marked as completed, but I don't see Time tracking Reports in my Next Gen project

I can see that we can track time on tickets, but I didn't find a way to report on those time entries...

Maybe I am missing something?

Thanks!

Will Seay April 5, 2021

Nope, I had the same question and was baffled that even the most basic of canned time reports are not yet in nextgen, ahem, team-managed boards.

I opened a support case and got a suitable workaround: using Google Sheets and the free Addon "Jira Cloud for Sheets" you can import your issue data into a sheet and tally time in there.

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-core-cloud/docs/use-jira-cloud-for-sheets/

You can narrow down the project you pull from in the first screen using the "JQL query" dialogue box "project = xyz123"

then click the Fields button at the top and the Edit button there to see a long picklist of what else you want to include.  I am pulling all the standard stuff and added "Log Work" which shows each segment of time, and "Time tracking" which sums them all up.

0 votes
Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 24, 2019

Hi @Marcos Tapia,

@Jack Hunter [HeroCoders] is correct. There is no native way to track time in Next-Gen projects now. It is, however, on the radar. You can view the issue in Atlassian's backlog at JSWCLOUD-17447.

It has a lot of attention, so add your vote to it to help move it up the priority list and to wacth it for updates.

-Scott

0 votes
Jack Hunter [HeroCoders]
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 24, 2019

Hello @Marcos Tapia,

Next-Gen projects do not support time tracking at the moment.

There is an open issue that you can track JSWCLOUD-17447, but unfortunately, it is not on the short-term roadmap so it is worth to vote it in order to raise the importance. 

You can use an external app to get this functionality until Atlassian adds it on their own.

Clockwork Automated Timesheets is a free app that allows to track time in Next-Gen projects and log it to Jira worklog. This way the time logged is available in Jira reports as well as in external reporting apps.

Clockwork allows tracking time automatically, through Start/Stop Timer button as well as through the "Log Work" button that pops up a dialog (just like Jira does in classic projects).

I hope it helps.

Cheers,
Jack

Suggest an answer