Time tracking - accumulate to Story?

Thomas Jeppesen November 10, 2019

Hi there

We have a user story structure that goes something like this:

User story (has story points)

- task 1 (time tracking)

- task 2(time tracking)

- task 3(time tracking)

How do I get accumulated time spend to ladder up to user story level so that I can use it for understanding how much time is being used to solve the story?

2 answers

1 vote
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 11, 2019

Hello Thomas,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

I understand that you want to sum the sub-tasks estimations to their respective parent issues in order to get the total amount of time needed to conclude the Story. Is that correct?

Unfortunately, it is not possible to sum-up estimations from a child issue to its parent in JIRA, however, we understand how this functionality would be useful and created a feature request to get it implemented:

Sum estimates from sub-tasks in user stories 

Feel free to vote and watch the suggestion to increase its priority and also receive notifications about any updates.

For now, there are some workarounds mentioned in the comments of that feature request that might be useful for you, like using the app Sum it up! that provide you with the sum of any custom fields to its parent.

Please, take a look at that feature request and check if any of the provided workarounds would meet your requirements.

0 votes
Dave Rosenlund
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 12, 2019

Hi, @Thomas Jeppesen.  Another option is to use one of the Jira apps from the Atlassian Marketplace that has this functionality. Two of the more popular are BigPicture and my company's product, Structure for Jira

Both products have this capability, and much more. With Structure, you can build spreadsheet-like views of Jira that allow you so sum-up just about anything up to the parent issue level. 

Screen Shot 2019-11-12 at 8.44.32 AM.png

I hope this helps.  Best of luck to you.

-dave [ALM Works]

Suggest an answer