Time to first response gadget showing wrong response hours

Ted Kim January 9, 2022

Screenshot attached below. 

Screen Shot 2022-01-10 at 10.40.54 AM.png

As you can see from the screenshot, today is Jan 10th 2022, but on the Time to First Response Time chart, it says tickets created on Jan 7th 2022 took approximate 22.5 days(540/24=22.5) to respond. It doesn't make sense as today is Jan 10th, the max hours can be only 24*3=72hrs. 

We are trying use this Time to First Reponse gadget to set out SLA and according KPI. 

But if it occasionnly shows this kind of bugs, it severely damages the credibility of it. 

Does anybody know what might have caused this malfunctioning? 

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 10, 2022

Hi Ted. I find these charts confusing too and TBH rarely use so my understanding may be rusty. I believe the flaw in your thinking is grounded in your comment "...tickets created on Jan 7th...". I believe if you look at the issue defining the bar on the 7th you will find some will have been created prior to the 7th. The TTFR report triggers on an issue being responded independent of creation. Basically, it presents all issues that achieved the "first response" criteria in a given day. For example ...

day 1: 5 issues created, First response = 1 (leaving 4 still pending)

day 2: 7 issues created, First response = 6 (3 from day 1, 3 from day 2; pending: 2 from day1, 4 from day 2)

etc...

I would recommend that you dive into a snapshot of that report and really understand how it is working to determine if indeed there truly is a bug. I know this chart is similar to time to close and you're a software and I believe there's a good article out there that describes how to consume it. If I can find it I will drop it in here because I think it is applicable.

Ted Kim January 12, 2022

Thanks a ton Jack! you were right on "it presents all issues that achieved the "first response" criteria in a given day."

0 votes
Emre Toptancı _OBSS_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 11, 2022

Hi @Ted Kim ,

Jira's gadgets offer very limited flexibility in terms of report parameters. They have built-in rules for including/excluding issues in the chart that cannot be customized. This makes hard to understand (and hard to trust) what the chart is showing.

If you are OK with using a marketplace app for that, our team at OBSS built Time in Status app for this exact need. It is available for Jira Server, Cloud, and Data Center. 

Time in Status allows you to see how much time each issue spent on each status and on each assignee. 

tisCloud_StatusDuration_LeadTime_with Estimates.png  tisCloud_AssigneeDuration.png     

Time in Status has Consolidated Columns feature. This feature allows you to combine the duration for multiple statuses into a single column and exclude unwanted ones. It is perfect to get measurements like Response Time, Issue Age, Cycle Time, Lead Time, Resolution Time etc.

For all numeric report types, you can calculate averages and sums of those durations grouped by the issue fields you select. For example total in-progress time per customer (organization) or average resolution time per week, month, issuetype, request type, etc. The ability to group by parts of dates (year, month, week, day, hour) is particularly useful here since it allows you to compare different time periods or see the trend.

tisCloud_StatusDuration_LeadTime_Average_TimeGrouped.png

The app calculates its reports using already existing Jira issue histories so when you install the app, you don't need to add anything to your issue workflows and you can get reports on your past issues as well. It supports both Company Managed and Team Managed projects.

Time in Status reports can be accessed through its own reporting page, dashboard gadgets, and issue view screen tabs. All these options can provide both calculated data tables and charts.

And the app has a REST API so you can get the reports from Jira UI or via REST.

Gadget_AverageStatusDurationByComponent.png  tisCloud_StatusDuration_LeadTime_Chart.png

Using Time in Status you can:

• See how much time each issue spent on each status, assignee, user group and also see dates of status transitions.
  • Calculate averages and sums of those durations grouped by issue fields you select. (For example, see average InProgress time per project and per issue type.)
  • Export your data as XLS, XLSX, or CSV.
  • Access data via REST API. (for integrations)
  • Visualize data with various chart types.
  • See Time in Status reports on Jira Dashboard gadgets

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1211756/

EmreT

Suggest an answer