Time is status data

Alexey
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 17, 2021

Hey, I'm trying to build a business logic around the field 'Time in Status'.

If you look on a default Kanban board there you can see a 'dot' chart with a tooltip, so the data is there.
Team board - Agile Board - Jira - Mozilla Firefox  (7).png

The question is how to get it? I've tried to create a custom field, but it completely ignored by the issue screen (invisible), advanced filtering also does not provide anything.

Issue layout - Jira - Mozilla Firefox 2021-03-17 1.png

P.s. i know about JQL 'workaround' like status = "XXX" AND status CHANGED BEFORE "-30d" but it just listing the tasks, not giving an exact number '5 days' as shown on a first picture. And I do not want complicated marketplace apps to just view a single field with a data that already there.

4 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Bloompeak Support
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 31, 2021

Hi @Alexey ,

You can try Status Time app developed by our team at Bloompeak. It provides reports on how much time passed in each status as well as status entry dates and status transition count.

Once you enter your working calendar into the app, it takes your working schedule into account too. That is, "In Progress" time of an issue opened on Friday at 5 PM and closed on Monday at 9 AM, will be a few hours rather than 3 days. It has various other reports like assignee time, status entry dates, average/sum reports(eg. average in progress time per project). And all these are available as gadgets on the dashboard too.

Here is the online demo link, you can see it in action and try.

If you are looking for a free solution, you can try the limited version Status Time Free. Hope it helps.

Alexey
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 8, 2021

@Bloompeak SupportThanks a lot, I like then the company makes Free limited version, that makes much easier to learn and make a decision. 30 days trial not always enough for all stakeholders.

Kudos for Demo link!

Like Bloompeak Support likes this
3 votes
Mariana_Pryshliak_Saasjet
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 18, 2021

Hello @Alexey 

As an alternative, you can try a Time in Status for Jira Cloud add-on. I'm a representative of the SaaSJet company, that has been developed this product. 

This add-on generates 7 types of reports including a Time in Status report. So you can monitor the work duration in each status easily. 

tisreport.jpg

Also, you can export a report as XLSX or CSV files for further analysis.

Hope you find it helpful

Best regards, Mariana

0 votes
Emre Toptancı _OBSS_
Marketplace Partner
March 31, 2021

Hello Alexey,

For a ready built solution that offers great flexibility and details, our team at OBSS built Time in Status. It is available for Jira Server, Cloud and Data Center.

Time in Status mainly allows you to see how much time each issue spent on each status or assigned to each assignee. You can combine statuses into consolidated columns to see metrics like Ticket Age, Cycle Time or Lead Time. You can calculate averages and sums of those durations and counts grouped by issue fields you select. (For example see the total InProgress time per Epic, or average number of InProgress transitions per issuetype). 

Time in Status can display its reports and charts in it own reporting page, in dashboard gadgets and in a tab on issue view screens. Below are some samples:

tisCloud_StatusDuration_LeadTime_with Estimates.pngtisCloud_StatusDuration_LeadTime.pngtisCloud_StatusDuration_LeadTime_Chart.png

tisCloud_IssueView_Data.png       Gadget_AverageTransitionCountByComponent_Data.png 

The app calculates its reports using already existing Jira issue histories so when you install the app, you don't need to add anything to your issue workflows and you can get reports on your past issues as well.

Using Time in Status you can:

• See how much time each issue spent on each status, assignee, user group and also see dates of status transitions.
  • Calculate averages and sums of those durations grouped by issue fields you select. (For example see average InProgress time per project and per issuetype.)
  • Export your data as XLS, XLSX or CSV.
  • Access data via REST API. (for integrations)
  • Visualize data with various chart types.
  • See Time in Status reports on Jira Dashboard gadgets (released for cloud, server&DC gadget coming soon)

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/1211756

EmreT

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 17, 2021

Hello @Alexey 

There are many posts on how to get Time In Status information. Have you searched for and reviewed those?

I recall there are suggestion to use vendor provide apps to get it, as well as suggestions about creating custom fields and using automation to update those and accumulate the time in a given status.

There is no out of the box feature that allows you to access that time in status that is being displayed on the board for a card.

Alexey
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 18, 2021

I do, most of them dated 2014-2018, related to Server or deprecated, not sure if new kanban board with 'dots' indicators were available at that moment. So I decided to ask for 2021 solution. I failed to find anything in regards to automation.

Something like creating custom fields for each status and run CRON hourly to add {ccurent.value}+1 for all tasks? Sounds very intensive load on a system. We have ~200 cards between the Backlog and Done.

3rd party apps with a 600$ annual bill to just view data that is already in a system, kinda meh.

Anyway, what 'Time in Status field' do? How to use it?

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 18, 2021

I'm not clear on what you are asking in your last sentence. Which 'Time in Status' field are you talking about in your last sentence? The custom field you created? If so, it will do what you design it to do.

Or, are you asking what needs to be done to make that field actually record the time spent in a given status?

Simply creating a custom field named "Time in Status" is not going to automatically pick up the information for you. What is being displayed on the board as dots has code backing it to get the information. I don't know exactly how it is done - maybe it is reviewing the history of the issue for status changes and dynamically calculating the information every time the board is refreshed.

If you want to have that information for every issue for every status, then you are going to have to do the development work much like the people who have developed add-ons for this functionality. You'll have to create custom fields to store the information and code/automation to calculate the data to be stored. You'll have to consider if doing that development work is worth the effort to produce the reports you want, or if it is better to spend the money on an add-on that already exists.

Like Alexey likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events