Time-Tracking on an Individual Issue: Viewing time for all users, editing, deleting, etc.

Tanya KENNEDY May 6, 2022

We have for many years used Jira Software to log bugs, but we kept our main time-tracking in another legacy system. We are now considering getting rid of this older legacy system and instead do the tracking in Jira. But in experimenting with time-tracking, it seems incredibly limited. I've skimmed thru a variety of articles, but answers have not been apparent. 

From an Individual Jira Issue, I have figured out how to:

- Input a time estimate

- Track my own current time

-See the total time tracked to that Issue, and the time remaining based on the estimated time

However, for that Individual Jira Issue, I have not figured out how to do these critical functions:

- Edit my time log (e.g., I accidentally tracked 30 hours rather than 3 hours. How do I edit that entry?)

- Enter/Edit time for another team member (Jane is too busy to track her time, but we need to bill for that time, so I want to track her 3 hours on May 5 for her. Randy tracked his time, but only 1 hour and it should have been 2 hours.)

- See a breakdown of the time tracked to the item, by user/date (e.g., Sue tracked 1 hour on May 1 and 2 hours on May 2, Bob tracked 1.5  hours on May 3, Mitch tracked 3 hours on May 4, etc.)

I've seen a lot of references to add-ons/plugins to extend Jira's timetracking capacity, but I can not believe that some of the basic functions I am describing are not present in the base product. I am assuming I am just not knowing how to see/get to them. 

Any help is appreciated to get me going the correct direction on this!

1 answer

1 vote
Nataliya Vasyliv_Reliex_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 6, 2022

Hi @Tanya KENNEDY 

Welcome to a community!

You should have permission to have the ability to edit your or another user's logged hours. It's different types of permission.

About a breakdown of the time tracked to the item I'm not sure that such feature is available. 

Anyway, if you will consider using a plugin I could recommend the ActivityTimeline - resource planning plugin. It includes time tracking and useful timesheets for managing. 

2022-05-04_09h10_56.png

If our solution fits your request or you have any additional requirements please feel free to ask me. We can provide a demo session for you if needed.
Best, Nataliya, ActivityTimeline Team

Suggest an answer