The "Resolution" field does not appear in the "Issue view"

Axelle September 23, 2022

Dear Community,

I am currently facing an issue with the "Resolution" field, which does not appear in the "Issue view". I give you more details below.

I have configured a specific screen for a specific issue type that I called "Support request". It gathers two tabs with different fields, as shown below:

Capture d’écran 2022-09-23 à 09.38.37.pngCapture d’écran 2022-09-23 à 09.38.42.png

You can see that I have put the "Resolution" field in the second tab.

When I create a ticket "Support request", this field does appear:

Capture d’écran 2022-09-23 à 09.42.53.png

However, once the ticket is created and that I want to check it from my board or my backlog, this field is not displayed anymore (in neither of the tabs):

Capture d’écran 2022-09-23 à 09.21.35.png

Capture d’écran 2022-09-23 à 09.44.44.png

I have checked the issue layout of this ticket, and it does appear:

Capture d’écran 2022-09-23 à 09.45.58.png

To be noted that I tried something else just in case: I changed the issue screen of this issue type by putting the "Resolution" field in the first tab instead. In this case, the "Resolution" field would not appear at all in the issue layout configuration panel.

Could someone tell me how I should do to display this "Resolution" field in the "Issue view" please ?

Many thanks :)

6 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 23, 2022

For 20 years now, Jira has had a simple "is this done" flag.  

If the resolution field is empty, the issue needs attention.  If it has a value, then the issue is resolved and needs no more attention.

It's an absolutely binary thing - empty or filled.

If you put the resolution field on an issue update screen (create, edit or transition), then the human using it will either have to select a value, or accept the default value.

No matter what their choice, they will set a value.  The field, while not "mandatory", will not let you leave it blank.

So.

If you put the resolution field on the create or edit screen, your people will be closing the issue when they create or edit it.  Which is, in 99.9% of cases, wrong.

Do not ever put the resolution field on a screen.  (Other than a screen you are using for a closing transition and nowhere else)

0 votes
Answer accepted

Hi again,

I found that the field appears when once the ticket is put to "Done".
It means that I cannot setup a rule related to this field as I wanted: "The user cannot put the ticket to "Done" if the resolution field is empty.

Anyway, at least the field appears, thank you all!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 26, 2022

To explain this a little - Jira hides some fields in some displays when they are empty - it won't show the field name or the (lack of) content at all.

Your "rule" is actually done the other way around in Jira - that's actually "using Jira as it was intended".  You don't do "can't put issue to done if the resolution is empty", you do "set the resolution as the user moves the issue to done".  

The usual way to do that is in the original workflow Mike and Scott built for Jira 1, and is the reason the resolution field works this way.  When moving an issue to one of the two "done" status in the workflow, there is a transition screen that has the resolution field on it.  (And for "reopen", there's a post-function that clears it)

1 vote
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 23, 2022

Hi @Axelle and welcome to the community,

Resolution field, but also other fields as well placed inside a screen, are visible when populated. However, resolution is a systemic field which you can't simply edit. Consider it as a very special field. Resolution appears next to the status, when and if populated:

resolution.png

0 votes
lintek214 October 17, 2022

I made the mistake of adding the Resolution field to my default edit screen in one of my transitions. I figured out right away that was a mistaken. Then I realized Jira included a Resolution screen with a few simple fields that a reasonable person would edit when closing out an issue. So when I transition the issue to the last state in the workflow the resolution screen is displayed and I have the ability to select from a list of resolutions and close the issue. Once that is done. The resolution is displayed next to the state button.

0 votes

Dear @Alex Koxaras _Relational_ and @Rilwan Ahmed,

First many thanks for this warm welcome !

To answer you comments:

1. How can the assignee edit a field if it does not appear ..?
  2. "To a field to be available in screen after ticket is created, [...] then the Resolution field should be added in Edit screen of the ticket type." 
    1. Even if it is not set in "View screen" or "Edit screen", it is said that this screen is applied to any unmapped actions by default.
    2. Anyway, I did try, but no change (see below)

Capture d’écran 2022-09-23 à 16.42.20.png

Rilwan Ahmed
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 23, 2022

@Axelle 

Did you add Assignee field to the screen ? If not, add it and recheck. 
Don't forget to refresh the ticket page before checking. 

@Rilwan Ahmed As shown in my first screenshots, yes, the "Assignee" field is in the screen.

0 votes
Rilwan Ahmed
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 23, 2022

Hi @Axelle ,

Welcome to the community !!

To a field to be available in screen after ticket is created, it should be added in View screen and If you want it to be editable, then the Resolution field should be added in Edit screen of the ticket type. 

Go to project settings --> Issues --> Screen 

Check what screens are associated for Create/View/Edit actions. 

Please note: If the Resolution field is present in all three screens, it will only be displayed in the issue when some values is added to the field. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 23, 2022

NO!

Never put the resolution field on an edit (or create) screen.

Like John Funk likes this
Rilwan Ahmed
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 23, 2022

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- ,
Any particular reason for it ? 

I'm also interested in the answer :)
Maybe I misunderstood the purpose of this field ?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 23, 2022

You don't want users to update that field before it is actually finished and moved into a Done category of statuses. 

Like Nic Brough -Adaptavist- likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 23, 2022

@Axelle - no, you have not misunderstood the purpose of the field.  It is there to record a headline of why you are saying "this issue is done with".

@Rilwan Ahmed - yes, resolution is a critically important field in Jira and you never never never want to set it at the wrong time.  Such as during an edit action.  Never add the resolution to an edit screen (as part of daily operations.  It is ok when you're trying to fix the mess made by another admin adding it to an edit screen when they shouldn't have, but that is very much an edge case)

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events