The database collation 'utf8_bin' and table collation 'utf8_bin' are not supported by JIRA.

RL February 15, 2019

I followed the guides to properly set up a MySQL database for Jira. The database uses character set utf8_bin and so do all tables. Yet, when I go into my Jira dashboard I get an error saying a collation health check failed. When I look at the error it says that the database collation utf8_bin and table collation utf8_bin are not supported... but those are the collations that the guide mentions I should be using!

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 20, 2019

A few questions for you about this:

1. What version of Jira is this?
  2. What version of MySQL are you using?
  3. What version of the MySQL JDBC database driver are you using? Downloaded from Download Connector/J
  4. What is the specific Atlassian Documentation URL you are using to follow the steps to setup Jira to connect to this database?

The instructions on how to do this could have recently changed with Jira 8 and the new support for utf8mb4 encoding.  I'm curious if perhaps the doc you are following might be outdated for a latest Jira version in use now (8.0.1). But I'm also thinking that older versions of Jira might have bundled a healthcheck plugin with a false positive bug that could just be a warning you can ignore, but I haven't been able to find that bug report yet.

Luke Gavel April 26, 2019

@Andy Heinzer Are you saying we need to use utf8mb4 rather than utf8_bin if we're trying to use jira version 8.1.0?

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 26, 2019

@Luke Gavel It depends on the version of MySQL you're using on the backend.  If you're using a MySQL 5.7.x with a Jira 8.x.x version, then our own documentation (Connecting Jira 8 applications to MySQL 5.7) recommends to use the utf8mb4 character set and collation because we know it will help you avoid the problem of mysql's inability to store 4 byte characters such as emojis when using the standard utf8/utf8_bin settings.

But if you look at the MySQL 5.6 doc in https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/connecting-jira-applications-to-mysql-5-6-938846854.html

We still recommend the utf8 instead in the case of MySQL 5.6.x databases.  That still leaves these version susceptible to being unable to store those characters though.  I think this is because Jira versions before 8 have not been tested with that collation/encoding in the older versions of MySQL before 5.7.

Luke Gavel April 26, 2019

So, upgrading from MySQL v5.6 to v5.7 to support v8.1.0 isn't mandatory?

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
April 26, 2019

Technically, no it is not mandatory.  You can still use MySQL 5.6.x with Jira 8.1.x per our supported platforms page.  However we know the character limitation in that version of MySQL has been a thorn in the sides of Jira administrators for a long time a la JRASERVER-36135.  So I would still recommend going to a 5.7 version to avoid that problem entirely.

Suggest an answer