The Original Estimate field is missing when creating stories and sub-tasks!

Orga-Administrator February 1, 2018

Hello

I hope somebody can help me! I'm using JIRA self-hosted version. I can't find a field called Original Estimate. About 6 months ago we installed Gantt addon. But then was unhappy and uninstalled it again. I dont know if there is any conflict with this addon.  Ive even tried these steps. But dont find this field anywhere

Please follow the steps below in order to add those fields:

• Access Jira as administrator
  • Click on "Issues"
  • Click on "Screens"
  • Search for screen scheme that's being used by the project, then click on it
  • There you'll be able to add and remove fields
  • Add "Time Tracking"

Once it's done, on create issue screen you'll see "Original estimate" field, if you don't see it then you may click on "Configure Fields" and enable "Time Tracking".

Thanks

Steven

3 answers

8 votes
Benjamin Dains February 1, 2018

@Orga-Administrator The field you're looking for is called, "Time Tracking".

--

Edit: If you can't see the field on your issue, but you know the field is added to the issues screen, go and check the field configuration for the project and make sure the, "Time Tracking" field isn't set to hidden.

1. Access the project settings for the project that you're trying to get the field to show up on.
  2. Click Summary.
  3. Scroll to the bottom and click the, "Field Configuration".
  4. Find, "Time Tracking" and make sure it is not hidden on the right side.

Edit #2: 

You will see the screens that go into the screen scheme, but you won't be able to add the, "Time Tracking" field from the screen scheme. Click the little arrow that to pop out the screens that are being used, click on one of the screens, it will take you to the screen page of the issue you clicked on, and it should be a list of fields.

At the bottom of that list, start typing, "Time Tracking" and then add that field to the screen. What you're seeing is the list of fields that are listed for that issue type. If, "Time Tracking" isn't on that list, you won't ever see it as a user.

--

Pro Tip: Add the, "Time Tracking" field to issue create screens and that will show as, "Original Estimate", remove the, "Time Tracking" field on the edit and view screens. This will make it so your jira-software-users cannot change the original estimate after they create the issue. Then you can run metrics off of Original vs Actual.

Build a filter and add in a lesser known field named, "Work Ratio" and this will compare the Original vs Actual for you, and you can write filters that look for when the ratio is higher than 100% which means the time spent has matched the original and it is about to go over budget.

2 votes
Benjamin Dains February 1, 2018

@Orga-Administrator The field you're looking for is called, "Time Tracking".

--

Edit: If you can't see the field on your issue, but you know the field is added to the issues screen, go and check the field configuration for the project and make sure the, "Time Tracking" field isn't set to hidden.

1. Access the project settings for the project that you're trying to get the field to show up on.
  2. Click Summary.
  3. Scroll to the bottom and click the, "Field Configuration".
  4. Find, "Time Tracking" and make sure it is not hidden on the right side.

Edit #2: 

You will see the screens that go into the screen scheme, but you won't be able to add the, "Time Tracking" field from the screen scheme. Click the little arrow that to pop out the screens that are being used, click on one of the screens, it will take you to the screen page of the issue you clicked on, and it should be a list of fields.

At the bottom of that list, start typing, "Time Tracking" and then add that field to the screen. What you're seeing is the list of fields that are listed for that issue type. If, "Time Tracking" isn't on that list, you won't ever see it as a user.

--

Pro Tip: Add the, "Time Tracking" field to issue create screens and that will show as, "Original Estimate", remove the, "Time Tracking" field on the edit and view screens. This will make it so your jira-software-users cannot change the original estimate after they create the issue. Then you can run metrics off of Original vs Actual.

Build a filter and add in a lesser known field named, "Work Ratio" and this will compare the Original vs Actual for you, and you can write filters that look for when the ratio is higher than 100% which means the time spent has matched the original and it is about to go over budget.

Ibrahim Haj September 16, 2019

Thanks it was helpful 

0 votes
Lena Sargsyan March 2, 2023

Hi,

I have a similar question too.
I have the Original estimate field in my issues screen and want to make it required. But when I go to the Custom field configuration I cant find it in the list. How it can be?

Screenshot 2023-03-02 151749.pngScreenshot 2023-03-02 151914.png

Troy Anderson May 2, 2023

Best I can tell after researching, essentially, 'how can I manage the location of the Original Estimate field' for a good part of the day today is that:  We can't.  

Once you weed out all the old information and those who can only repeat "Its part of Time Tracking", along with my own experiments, Original Estimate can only ever be part of the Context Fields  (i.e. Details) section.  Context Fields are defined as "secondary information that your team might need to sort, filter, or report on issues".  Original Estimate is not secondary information.  But, on the bright side, it will remain visible no matter which issue tab or view you are on.

This also means there is no way to mark Original Estimate as required.  We can mark 'Time tracking' as a required field, but that 'field' actually encompasses more than one field.

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/configure-field-layout-in-the-issue-view/#Configurefieldlayoutintheissueview-Contextfields

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer