The Epic-vs Story-Quest

What are Epics, what are stoies and what is the difference between them?

There has been a thread about this topic about a year ago. What I learned from this is, they are nearly alike and there is hardly any difference between them in GH anyway. Epic and story is somehow a notion of agile requirement engineering. They, both of them, can be used to collect and analyze requirements. So there is an option for both of them in GH. But they are handled alike, aren't they? They do have the same attributes, they may be devided into subtaks. There is no connection between epics and stories. Stories are no description of epics in detail that will lead to a hierarchy, what I would have expected.

What I learned is to decide one of them and use it and avid the other one. So I chose stories.

What would you do? What have you done?

Thanks,

Siegfried

4 answers

1 accepted

Epics vs stories, it's not so much a JIRA/Greenhopper question, it is a methodolocial question of agile requirement engineering generally, and in my eyes it is not really answered yet.

Nevermind, the Greenhopper method to group stories with the field epic/themes is a bit strange, isn't it? Wouldn't it be better to allow Epic/Story subtask links or any hierarchical connection like that?

Anyway, I think this question is answered - somehow.

Siegfried

Epics are on a higher level than stories. We use epics to bundle a number of stories together to make them easier to follow.

What I don't understand is why Greenhopper use the Label attributes for the Epics->Story link instead of standard issue linking.

Yes, Henry,

I see. Epics are on a higher level than stories. Both of them are bound to collect and describe requirements. By the way, there are requirements as well. Let's neglect them for now.

You can connect stories to their epic (or epics?) using the "Epic/theme", so you group them under a theme name. That's what we do as well. But what about theming stories under stories and tasks under tasks?

And, you asked as well, why do not put stories to epics like tasks to stories (or to epics)?

Thanks,

Siegfried

Yes, Henrik,

I see. Epics are on a higher level than stories. Both of them are bound to collect and describe requirements. By the way, there are requirements as well. Let's neglect them for now.

You can connect stories to their epic (or epics?) using the "Epic/theme", so you group them under a theme name. That's what we do as well. But what about theming stories under stories and tasks under tasks?

And, you asked as well, why do not put stories to epics like tasks to stories (or to epics)?

Thanks,

Siegfried

Hello,

We've recently updated the Epic functionality in GreenHopper.

Thanks,
Nicholas Muldoon

I would like a hierarchical connection between Epics and Epics and Epics and Stories just like a Story being an Sub-whatever of an Epic or an Epic being a SubEpic of another one.

See for example:

E1
- E11
  = S1
   -- S11

I don' t see this in the new JIRA (>=5). It is a flat connection between them, not something like subtask.

But yes, I accept the answer and thanks a lot for it.

Siegfried

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Mar 28, 2018 in Jira Software

Can a company’s culture make or break agile adoption?

Can a new-to-agile team survive and thrive in a non-agile culture? If so, what advice would you give to those trying to be agile in a non-agile culture? What's the key(s) to success? Share your thoug...

12,382 views 15 13
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you