Test case Workflow within a sprint

Allan Vaifale May 23, 2022

Hi all,

I'm looking for some insight or advice on my team's workflow when it comes to our test cases: Writing & Executing during a sprint.

For context, here is our current workflow:

During sprint planning, we assign X tasks to Y developers - We mainly use Issue types Bugs, or User Stories. As a part of these tasks, we have a sub-task called 'Write Test Cases'. This sub-task is assigned to our QA, who can then get visibility on how many test cases need to be written for the sprint. 

We're not at a stage where we have an existing test case for every component, but rather write new ones or if we're lucky are able to update an old one from our repository.

We run monthly sprints, so 3w of development work with code freeze being implemented on the 3rd week to allow for full testing in the last week of the sprint.

The sub-task for our QA moves along the board as if it's a normal development task i.e  To Do > In Progress > Done etc.

We don't add a test execution task into the sprint until all the test cases are completed and can be put into an execution task, which, I can see is a problem with the reporting for a sprint.

My questions are:

Does this workflow make sense? Is there a better and more sufficient way of handling this?

Thank you so much in advance for any answers that come my way.

1 answer

1 vote
Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 23, 2022

Hi @Allan Vaifale , welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Interesting question. As so many different answers are possible, I'm referring to this Scrum.org forum article: Best Practices for Testing Process in Scrum

Hopefully, it gives you some interesting insights.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events