Team vs Component

Jonathan Tang
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
August 9, 2018

Our organization is currently using the Component field to filter for teams. However, I noticed that Portfolio has a Team field as well. Has anyone used the Team field instead of Component field? Are there pros / cons ?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Kian Stack Mumo Systems
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 9, 2018

Jonathan, 

The component and teams fields have significantly different purposes. 

Components are supposed to be used to help organize the project further. Components you can think of submodules or categories of your project. 

The "team" custom field is supposed to help with capacity planning when using the portfolio to build out your timelines. 

Another way of putting this would be that Component marks the section of a project that a ticket belongs to, UI, Backend, ect. The Team field tells you which team is expected to be putting the hours in to make that ticket happen. 

Does that make sense? 

Jonathan Tang
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
August 17, 2018

Thanks, we are strongly considering creating a new field to track Team instead of using the component field. 

I tried the Portfolio custom field, but it produces a line of text underneath it which is undesirable. We are probably going to go with a drop down list

Johna.S.Lee February 29, 2024

Is Component an effective way to group scrum team work within a Jira project?  Thanks!

5 votes
Tarang May 31, 2019

This is a fundamental problem for Jira Agile. 

Software Product development is a team sport, what the heck Atlassian's stock symbol on NASDAQ is:TEAM.  Yet they haven't figured out to make "Team" object as a first class citizen in the system in order to harness team level adoption of their tools - unless they see the tools are for bookkeeping and the role of project managers. Besides which when a Team doesn't see itself represented in a system then you forever hinder the progress of "Playing as a Team"

They have figured out other objects to represent such as "Org, Project, User". So why not "Team".

May be the stock symbol for Atlassian should be "anything but TEAM".

I hope you see that asking customers to do anything else is a work around, and asking them to taken on Technical Debt as shown above in the work around.

Suggest an answer