Team Field not editable in Sub-tasks

Claudio Cherchi April 15, 2021

Hi everyone,
While working with the team field I discovered that it is not editable in sub-tasks items.
Is there a reason why this is not possible?

In addition, the field is blocked and I cannot make any modification regarding the context.
We are using Jira Cloud and the Advanced roadmap and the usage of the Team Field is helpful for filtering.

Suggestion or opinions are more than welcome.

Regards,

Claudio

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 16, 2021

A sub-task is a part of its parent issue, not a separate issue.  So if an issue "belongs" to a team, logically, any sub-tasks of it do as well, because they're a part of the issue.  So you can't edit the team.

Claudio Cherchi April 16, 2021

Thank you. It's enough for our needs. 

Regards,

Claudio

Janet Genusa March 17, 2022

Wouldn't it be a good feature to allow sub-tasks to assigned outside of the team that owns the parent?

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 17, 2022

No.

A sub-task is entirely a part of its containing issue.  Why would you assign a different team to part of an item that needs to be done by the current team?

Like d_mahmuti likes this
Angelia Lee November 21, 2023

sometimes you do need to reassign sub-tasks to another squad within the same team.  it's not helpful at all to need to create new tasks when the work itself is part of the same Story

Like Peter den Besten likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 23, 2023

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

That's a good use of sub-tasks.  But it does not change the fact that sub-tasks are a fragment of their owning task.

Angelia Lee November 23, 2023

Thanks for the shout out.  

Understand what you mean -- but it would be good not to have the tool dictate the way of working but facilitate it instead.   Hence, why i'd say this has been raised that many times -- and wonder why Atlassian is still strict in keeping to how this needs to work based on their understanding, and not the practicalities of delivery.

Like # people like this
David Exner December 5, 2023

I also agree with Angelina.

The sub-tasks owner (responsible team) is always the owner of the parent task (inheritance), but the executor can be someone else = a different team.

Creating another issue or custom field just because of this is rather additional work that increases complexity.

Why would it then make sense to be able to choose an assignee from a different team than from the one owning the task? :)

Like Peter den Besten likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 6, 2023

Er, you can assign different people sub-tasks.

You can't assign a different team because the sub-task is part of an issue that already belongs to a specific team.   That's not what sub-tasks are for. 

When something should be done by a different team, you should have a story for the other team so they can handle it according to their process, and probably create a link to show that there is a dependency between the two stories.

David Exner December 6, 2023

"Er, you can assign different people sub-tasks." <- I am not disputing this one. I am rather pointing out that even though the sub-task is owned by the team owning its parent issue, you can still assign a person from a different team (than from the one owning the parent issue/sub-task) to it.

Maybe my understanding of team vs assignee is limited. I thought tasks that are assigned to a specific team should be then processed by the team members of such a team.

Thank you for your support!

Like Angelia Lee likes this
Angelia Lee December 6, 2023

Yes - you can assign it to another team member -- but the issue then is that it will NOT appear on their Kanban board.  Rather it will show up in the existing parent Team Kanban with the assignee to the sub-task who's NOT from the same team, and also cannot view this ticket on their own team Kanban.

It's the practical usage for the tool where the details throws up such nuances that do impact on ways of working.

Like Ester Sauter likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events