Tasks not appearing under Epics in Timeline view

Leigh Elliott August 1, 2022

Hi Everyone,

Question that I received from one of our staff this week.  They are running a project using a Team-managed Jira project.  They have created all of their Epics, Tasks and Sub-Tasks and when in the list view they can see all of the Tasks under the Epics they belong.  The Epics can be expanded and collapsed so that the view only show Epics and then when he wants to drill down on tasks within a specific Epic the Epic can be expanded.

The question is when going in to the Timeline and Board view the tasks are not presented as children within Epics.  This means for the Timeline view the tasks with in Epics can not be expanded or collapsed and appear as separate line items.  The same also happens in the Board view, each Epic and Task appears as a separate unrelated card on the board.  If an Epic that contains children tasks is moved to another bucket on the board only the Epic moves and its child tasks incorrectly remain in the original bucket.

Does any one know why the Timeline and Board views behave differently compared with the List view?  It looks like a bug.

Any advice or guidance welcome, thanks.

3 answers

1 accepted

13 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 1, 2022

Hello @Leigh Elliott 

Timeline is a feature of the Work Management/Business project type. Can you confirm for us that is the type of project in this scenario?

If you are working with such a project, it appears that nesting child issues under an Epic in the timeline view is not yet supported. Refer to

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JWMCLOUD-111

Thanks @Trudy Claspill 

The project type is a "Business project"

Looks like this is exactly the issue we are seeing, so I guess I'll have to wait until the functionality is built.

Ulrich Scharf October 17, 2022

+1 in voting this as an important issue to resolve. For any marginally complex project, nesting tasks below epics is a key feature to make the timeline useable. 

Like # people like this
Adam Miladinovic October 17, 2022

+1

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 17, 2022

@Adam Miladinovic @Ulrich Scharf 

Make sure that you add your votes to the issue itself. "Voting" on this post in the community does not add a vote to the issue itself.

joachim ramberg August 8, 2023

If you don't need to use Epic and are willing to e.g. use Task as a substitute until it's fixed you can work with sub-tasks in the timeline. Only an option if a 2 level hierarchy is enough tho.

Katrina Houghton August 31, 2023

+1

Micheal Planck November 28, 2023

This feature alone is why I use Jira Software instead of Jira Work Management.

The only people that care about timelines are my business projects (software runs via agile), and the inability to see the tasks in an epic makes epics literally useless.

But Jira Software neatly displays or hides epic children with the click of a button.

However, Jira Software does not display sub-tasks, while Jira Work Management does fold up or display sub-tasks with the click of a button.

How is this not a joke? Seriously: how is this not Atlassian just punking us for laughs?

JWM shows task children but not epic children; JS shows epic children but not task children.

How is this not a joke?

Like # people like this
1 vote
Isaiah John June 21, 2023

Hey Guys,

Help us get this issue resolved by clicking this link then voting:
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JWMCLOUD-111
Also, share this on any other issues you are watching so Jira implements it faster.

Thanks,
Isaiah

0 votes
Joe Maggiore
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 13, 2023

if this isn't fixed would consider just leaving jira

Micheal Planck December 13, 2023

If institutional inertia did not exist, neither would Atlassian.

I can't believe there isn't a better system out there, somewhere; but I can't be bothered to search for it because management already bought into this one.

And honestly, Jira is good enough. It is the literal definition of bad software design and development, but it can get the job done as long as you don't care what it looks like or how hard it is to do the job.

The tyranny of gargantuan mediocrity. It's a metaphor for modern life.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events