Tabs missing for some users

Fred July 13, 2021

I'm a jira admin, and I added a second tab with custom fields to epics. I can see the tab and fields when the fields have not been filled out. Other users don't see the tab until those fields have a value. The users who can't see the fields are the ones who will fill them out.

Is this functioning as designed? This would lead me to believe yes.

Is the workaround to give one of my fields a default value?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Fred July 14, 2021

Hi John,

In configure view, the fields are where they should be.

Screen Shot 2021-07-14 at 8.08.56 AM.png

If I fill out one of those fields in the epic, non-admin users can see the tab. Otherwise, it's hidden. 

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 14, 2021

Hi Fred,

The article you cite is for Jira Server and wouldn't apply in this case as you are using Jira Cloud. 

However, here's what you are check. While in one of the issues, in the very bottom right hand side you should see a clickable link for Configure. Click on that. 

On the ensuing screen (it might even open a new tab in your browser) you will see the Issue Layout.

Click on the new tab name that you added. 

Check to see where the custom fields are. You might need to drag them up from the section at the bottom that says Hide When Empty. Move them up to the Context fields or Description fields section. 

Mark Gallagher September 30, 2022

Hi @John Funk ,

I see all my tabs in the 'Configure Screen', but don't see them in the tickets (view) screen, or when I click 'Configure' when in the ticket. Any ideas?

Screenshot 2022-09-30 at 18.16.50.png

Screenshot 2022-09-30 at 18.18.59.png

Screenshot 2022-09-30 at 18.19.57.png

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 30, 2022

Hi Mark - are you Cloud or Server?

It might be that the fields are marked as Hidden when empty.

Mark Gallagher September 30, 2022

Hi @John Funk , this we're cloud, not sure how to verify though.

The fields are populated, but are displaying in the 'General' tab. 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 4, 2022

Hmm - Check the issue layout screen then to see where it shows them. Can you include a screenshot of that, too? 

Suggest an answer