Sync a Field in parent with information from all child cases.

Humberto Gomes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 25, 2021

Hi Community, 

Using the app “Plans”, old “Portfolio” I have the following hierarchy:

ScreenHunter 1090.png

In the Project, there is a text field called: Status Notes, where managers can describe some status notes.

the Initiative must have a Status Resume field, linked to Status notes from the child cases and updated automatically.

This example can be applied to other issue types, like Epic->Story or Task -> Subtask.

Challenge:

How to set this solution? Keep the Status Resume updated with the information from the child cases?

Some considered notes:

• Can’t be a direct replacement, because, when project B needs to update the field in Initiative will delete the Project A notes.
  • Can’t be a concatenation, because the Initiative field will be a full mess and overkill reading. Repeating everything for each concatenation.

I think the solution is a hybrid implementation:

Concatenation from all Child cases (Project) and replace that info in the Initiative. So every time a Status notes is updated, the script should go to all “Projects” collect the Status notes, concatenate them and replace the info in the parent case (Initiative).

Mas have also the following information:

Project A -  Current Date – notes from field in Project A

Project B -  Current Date – notes from field in Project B

Project C -  Current Date – notes from field in Project C

Problem:

I don't know how to do it.

Do you have any similar solution implemented? Can you share it?

Do you need a similar solution? Let’s work together.

I’m running Jira Server and I have commercial licenses for:

• Script Runner
  • Automation for JIRA.

I think this is possible using 1 or both apps.

Thanks for your help and attention.

0 answers

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
VERSION
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events