Switching databases, new server id, new licence required

Meisam Ebrahimi July 23, 2019

I switched the database from the built in one to a postgre one and the process to import the data is asking for new licence details, the new server ID is BNPB-43LM-QMAU-DYMW - please could you regenerate a licence key for this server id.

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 24, 2019

Hi Meisam,

I understand that you are migrating a Jira server database from the H2 database to a postgresql database.  

However in this process, if you are not actually upgrading Jira to a newer version, there is no need to apply a new license key here.   Instead, when you start up Jira connected to a new empty database, the setup wizard will launch.   That is likely where you are being prompted for a license key, but if you selected the 'Import existing data' option,

Screen Shot 2019-07-24 at 12.21.43 PM.png

then you can reference the .zip file that contains your XML backup.  These are auto generated in your $JIRAHOME/export/ folder, but you are expected to copy the file you want to use here into the $JIRAHOME/import/ folder and then select that filename.zip on that next page:

Screen Shot 2019-07-24 at 12.25.32 PM.png

You would only need to apply a new license on this page, IF you were upgrading the version of Jira AND the license contained in your backup was expired before the release date of this newer Jira version.

In addition to all of that info:

your server ID is only needed when you first generate a new license key from a first time purchase.  Once that license key is generated, you can technically still apply it to a server with a different server ID.  You are not obligated to apply it to the same server ID that license was created with.  But is a very common misconception that your license key and server ID have to match.  They do not.  

Granted your license is only supposed to be applied to a single installation at a time per the license agreement, but even so, you don't need to regenerate the license key here.  If you are not importing existing data, then you can just apply your existing license key from https://my.atlassian.com

I hope this helps.

Andy

Suggest an answer