Swimlanes not display on Kanban board

Justine Anquez January 19, 2021

Hello,

I created 5 different swimlanes to dispatch my tickets in different categories on the Kanban Board but only one swimlane is display : 'Driver'.

I would like to have the 5 differents categories in order to classify my tickets per topics.

Could you help me?

Thanks a lot!

H2HPR board - Agile Board - JIRA 2021-01-19 09-39-27.pngH2HPR board - Agile Board - JIRA 2021-01-19 09-40-35.png

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

Hi

Thanks for your answer but when you say:
'all your issues are in that swimlane' --> I can't assign my issue to a swimlane because:

1/ I can't choose a Swimlane when I create a ticket

2/ After creating a ticket, I can't drag and drop it in the good swimlane because I see only one swimlane in my kanban board.

Did you understand the problem?

thanks a lot for you help.

Create issue - JIRA 2021-01-19 12-47-15.png

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 19, 2021

You do not "choose a swimlane".  A swimlane selectes issues based on data in their searches.

When creating an issue (or editing it), if you want it to land in a swimlane, you have to enter data into it that the swimlane will select it for. 

In your case, your swimlanes are all set by priority, so you'll want to set a priority on them.  You do not appear to have that on your create screen, so you'll need to get it added.  It might just be hidden, or an admin might not have put it on, but either way, click "configure fields" towards the top right - there is a "where is my field" option in that menu that will tell you why the priority is not there.

On question 2, actually it doesn't matter.  You can't drag and drop between swimlanes even if they appeared.  This is because Jira cannot know what the rules might be.  In your "priority" case, there is a logical rule, but imagine if you had swimlane 1 as "component = red" and swimlane 2 as "participant = Charlie".  You cannot establish a clear rule to change the underlying data (and can't anyway as "participant" is not an editable field!)

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 19, 2021

My best guess is that all your issues are in that swimlane (I note they all have a red up arrow saying that they have the same priority).  Empty swimlanes will not show on the board.

Shriya Chhajed August 8, 2023

Hi Nic, 

One of the projects have created 10 swimlanes in the board, but only 5 are showing up. Apparently remaining also has some issues, but it doesn't show up on the board. 

Also, the other 5 (which is showing up on the board) doesn't shows the issues which are done or refused or in backlog. Do you know why? 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 8, 2023

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

The missing swimlanes probably don't have any issues in them.  If you're missing issues from the board, then you need to check the board configuration - the type, the board filter (and if it's a Kanban, the filter that defines "done")

Shriya Chhajed August 9, 2023

Thanks Nic for warm welcome and your response. 

I investigated it more, and it looks like the swimlanes that are not showing up do have issues, but only in Backlog and Done status and thus not showing up. Backlog is not mapped to the right column, which is understood but what is the specific reason for Done status issues? Nothing about the done status is mentioned in the filter query or in any quick filters. The only thing is - the done column has three statuses mapped to it the Kanban board - Done, Closed and Refused. Will it block?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 9, 2023

That makes sense - backlog issues are not supposed to appear on the board, and the last column means "done, no need to see this any more" and hides issues (the rule is variable on company-managed projects, but for team-managed, it's "not updated for a fortnight")

Shriya Chhajed August 10, 2023

Hi Nic, 

Thank you for your response and I agree with what is mentioned by you. But is there any settings or is it as it should be? 

0 votes

Perfect! Thanks a lot for your explanation, really helpful! 

regards :) 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events