Sum custom fields without automation

Mimi Peters April 26, 2023

Hi there,

I have looked around and most of the articles explain using Automation for sum up different custom fields. I have 5 different custom fields that I want to sum up so I can see which ticket got the highest numbers so we can prioritize e.g. These fields will contribute different rating and the reporter only need to give rating between 1-5 then base on this value, it will calculate the %. I am sure its possible in Automation but wonder if I can do without it or not using any addons?

Any suggestions are welcome :)

1. User Impact and Business Impact combined - 40%
  2. Technical Debt and Complexity combined - 30%
  3. Risk - 10%
  4. Customer Requests - 15%
  5. Dependencies - 5%

1 answer

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 26, 2023

Hi @Mimi Peters 

From what you describe, you can do that using the built-in math operations for automation rules, as described here: https://support.atlassian.com/cloud-automation/docs/jira-smart-values-math-expressions/

Kind regards,
Bill

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 26, 2023

Further to what Bill has provided here, to answer your question as to whether this can be done without Automation or an addon the answer is no. I'm unsure why you may be adverse to an Automation rule.

Thanks both.

The automation rule is great, as we have a monthly limit usage so I am trying to avoid using up the quota that's all :) 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 26, 2023

You can set up project specific rules which are unlimited. If you use the rule on multiple projects then global is easier but per project can work too.

Like # people like this

Hi Jack, 

Would you mind to interpret more? How do I set so it will be unlimited? 

the above fields can be used by 5 projects and what is my steps to achieve these? 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 26, 2023

Hey @Mimi Peters - Any rule that runs against a single project has unlimited executions at no cost. It is only rules that run against multiple projects or global rules (no projects identified) that count against your rule limitation. 

Like # people like this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 27, 2023

Yes what John said. Basically you would create the rule in one project then copy it and use in each of the other 4. So you end up with 5 rules, one for each project. The downside is you have 5 rules to manage.

Like # people like this
Mimi Peters April 30, 2023

wao, I did not know that great many thanks for this tips :) 

Like John Funk likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events