[Suggestion] Create new notification template feature

Alexis Ramacciotti April 12, 2019

Hello,

I tryed to reach Atlassian Support to propose this suggestion, but it seems to be locked for external contribution, so here I am.

Deploying a Jira/Jira SD server instance for a client, I came across the need to create new vm templates for specific events. As you may know, doing such a thing imposes to have direct access to the file system of the server, to add vm files and modify the \JIRA\atlassian-jira\WEB-INF\classes\email-template-id-mappings file to allow the template to be selectable when creating an event.

I think it would be more covenient AND more secured (from a sys admin point of view) if it was possible to add a notification template from the administration interface of Jira.

The best would be to create a new section in the System Administration page, under the Event item for example. This section would allow the Jira Administrator to create new templates, with velocity helper, css classes helper or a preview feature.  Basically, something close of what Jira Email This Issue does, but for clients who do not want to rely on an add-on.

Since Email This Issue proposes far more options than just mere template creation, it would keep its added value, for more specific cases.

What do you think of this suggestion, Community and Atlassian Devs?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 15, 2019

Hi Alexis,

Thanks for the feedback and we already have a highly voted on and followed feature request for exactly this scenario, to be able to: "Create an Email Template Editor in the UI to Replace Editing Velocity Templates".  You can view the request and track the progress by adding yourself as a watcher at the following link:

And as covered in the most recent update from Atlassian this is accepted and we are working on it, noting: "We plan to implement this feature in Jira Software and Core in the near future."

If you have any additional feedback you feel the the templates need or a specific use case feel free to add a comment on the feature request directly as covered in the Implementation of New Features Policy

Regards,
Earl

Alexis Ramacciotti April 15, 2019

Thanks a lot!

Like Earl McCutcheon likes this

Suggest an answer