Subtask filter in Filter Gadget

Alwin Hendriks December 12, 2017

I created some filters that I use in filter gadgets on my dashboard.

Currently they show my tasks (open, in progress, reopened) and one of the columns shows the subtasks.

The problem is that it shows all the subtasks. They do get a strike-through when closed but I don't want to see them at all.

How can I make sure that resolved and closed subtasks don't show on my filter gadgets?

Many thanks in advance.

3 answers

0 votes

0 votes
Ivan Tovbin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 12, 2017

add "and resolution is empty" to your filters.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 12, 2017

Add "and issuetype in standardIssueTypes()" to your filters.

Thanks for the fast replies!

Bare with me I'm a real noob.
So my filter looks like this: 

project = ITSC AND status in (Open, "In Progress", Reopened) AND component = "ITSC - Further Education" AND assignee in (ahendriks)

How do I implement your solutions?

Screenshot of my gadget.
example.pngThanks

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 12, 2017

You can literally just add the two strings Ivan and I gave at the end - you have a simple set of "and"s connecting your clauses, so you don't need to think about compounding it up.

Okay. So this solution works if all of tasks and subtasks are showing in the summary column. The subtasks are now removed.

However my main issue is the sub-tasks column. If you take a look at the screenshot you will see subtasks with and without a strike-through. I would like to hide the ones with the strike-through (they are closed/resolved).

example.png

Thanks.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 12, 2017

That's where Ivan's clause comes in.  The strikethrough happens when an issue has a value in the resolution field.  So "and resolution is empty" will remove those from the results.

Okay I understand, but it does not work...
With my filter looking like this:

project = ITSC AND status in (Open, "In Progress", Reopened) AND component = "ITSC - Further Education" AND assignee in (ahendriks) AND issuetype in standardIssueTypes() AND resolution is EMPTY

I still see the strike-through subtasks. I seems as if this entire string does not have any impact on that subtask column.

Alwin

Ivan Tovbin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 12, 2017

Try removing "AND issuetype in standardIssueTypes()"

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 12, 2017

Sorry, I've completely misunderstood it.

The subtask column is a single field.  It displays subtasks, unfiltered.  So the filter in use for the gadget is irrelevant, because the data in there is not issues being selected.

You'll need to find a new "subtasks" field, one that can filter for unresolved only.

Ivan Tovbin
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 12, 2017

Indeed, what Nic said there.

Alwin Hendriks December 14, 2017

Is this something I can achieve with custom fields?

I looked into it a little bit but I am a bit lost on how I can make a custom field search for subtasks of a parent.

Ivan Tovbin
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 14, 2017

I suppose you can use a 3rd party plugin like ScriptRunner to create a calculated custom field and populate it with keys of only open subtasks of the the current issue. 

What I'm not sure about is if these keys will be rendered as actual links to corresponding issues by Jira. But i guess it won't hurt to try, yes?

Suggest an answer