Sub-task displays field that is not part of the screen

Gregory Kremer May 8, 2023

Fix Version field is not part of our sub-task screen, however when I query for all subtasks where this field is not empty, I get a large amount of records displayed. The interesting part is, some of the values are equal to the values in the parent User Story issue, but some of them are completely different from the parent value. Can anyone please explain to me this phenomena? I'd greatly appreciate it.

1 answer

1 vote
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 8, 2023

Hello @Gregory Kremer 

The field may have been set through Automation Rules, Workflow Post Functions, or the API. The field may have previously been on the screen and then removed from the screen.

You should be able to see in the History of the individual subtask when and by whom the value got set.

Hi @Trudy Claspill . Thank you for your reply. It's been checked and confirmed that no Automation or Workflow functionality exists in this case. Furthermore, we observed even stranger thing - some Fix Version values in Sub-tasks were different from the ones in the Parent issues. That raised my curiosity level even more.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 8, 2023

What does the history of the affected subtasks reveal about the setting of the Fix Version field?

Nothing. This field is not in the screen configuration at all. Values appear in a general query when we add this field as a co as a column. That's when I discover this "issue".

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 8, 2023

I am stumped.

Even if the field is not on the screen it can still be set through Automation Rules. And if it is set, then there should be an entry in the issue's history documenting that. I've just run that scenario in my own environment to confirm.

Screen Shot 2023-05-08 at 3.00.04 PM.png

In my case the Fix Version field is still part of the Field Configuration used by the Subtask issue type - it just is not on the screen used by the Subtask issue type.

Is the field in the Field Configuration used by the Subtask issue type in the affected project?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events