Sub Tasks - Auto populate certain fields from parent on creation

Deleted user March 28, 2019

Hi,

When we create a sub-task, is there a way to populate some of the fields before hand so that user does not have to type them again?

Best,

Sumit

3 answers

0 votes
Sally Wheeler July 8, 2022

I used an automation rule to accomplish this. 

The rule is run when issue is created (I also made a second rule to be used when issue is updated to continually refresh the subtasks). 

Use a branch rule and specify sub-tasks.

Use the "Edit issue fields". Select all of the fields you want to populate. Select where you want the information to come from (trigger issue, parent issue, epic issue).

It worked for me!

Good luck!

Sally

Sally Wheeler July 8, 2022

I also didn't want any users to edit this information. So I created a copy of my screen and named it "read-only" and then I removed the fields from this screen. In my screen scheme, under the edit operation, I associated the read-only screen. In my view screen, I have all of the fields. So now the user can view all of the fields but not change. 

Thanks!

Sally

SATHISH KUMAR S November 16, 2022

Hi Sally can you post the steps as well regarding this because we  have tried the same but facing errors in the Automation. Looking for your reply.

Thanks 
Sathish

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 28, 2019

Hi Sumit,

Yes, it is possible, and we do it a lot. Just edit the Create transition for the Sub-task (the transition from the first circle to the first status) and add a post function for each field that you want to populate on create. 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 28, 2019

Sorry, should have mentioned that we use the JMWE add-on to accomplish that. 

Deleted user March 31, 2019

Thanks John. JMWE is another paid add-on. Is there any other option apart from this?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 1, 2019

You could add a post function for the Create transition and try to use the Update Issue Custom Field post function. But not sure if that will actually work since it is not really an update but an initial population of the field. 

0 votes
Christos Moysiadis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 28, 2019

Hi @[deleted] ,

i have never done it before but my first thought is to create a custom script listener (maybe) with Scriptrunner addon so it can take values from parent issue and copy them to subtask.

Best Regards.

CM

------------- Edit:

Go to the workflow of this issue. Find the create transition and in there, exist a post function tab. Click to add a post function and check the option "copy field values from parent to subtask issue".

Deleted user March 31, 2019

Thanks Christos.

One Query, Post function will be executed once the user saves the sub-task, right? Or it will be before that.

FYI we want to pre-populate the values when use clicks create sub-task from the parent Story/Task and the form gets loaded.

Best,

Sumit

Christos Moysiadis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 31, 2019

Hello @[deleted] ,

What do you mean after the user saves the subtask?

• When the user clicks the subtask button a subtask is just created. Until you move to the subtask itself the fields will be already be populated if its done correctly :)

Another thing that u should do! Create a test environment of the instance... Make any changes and tests that you want and if they are working, apply them to the production instance

mfg

Christos

Deleted user April 1, 2019

@Christos Moysiadis 

What I mean is when user clicks on new sub-task, does the post-function apply before the user sees the sub-task form or post-function applies when user clicks Create button after entering all the details on the sub-task form.

Also, can the post function be executed based on issue type(sub-task) in this case?

We are using JIRA cloud. is it possible to create test instance there or should I work with a test project?

Best,

Sumit

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events