Stringing between Workflows

David Ohnstad January 20, 2021

I am looking to configure a few projects within Jira. The idea for a workflow would be to move a requirements gathering workflow in on Project (called RFE) facing towards sales that would connect to a workflow within the Project (PMQA) that would be facing towards engineering.

Outside of the constraints of components that we are trying to limit towards sales, we are hoping to undergo a vetting process that would be visible to sales and then once approved, but linked to a node within the Engineering workflow.

Essentially the workflow for sales would be Requirement>vetting>estimated>approved. The approved would then carry on to stage of engineering of planning, etc. where we could add further information as needed. Beyond this, we then would hide the requirements from sales and instead make it visible to engineering.

Is there a way to string the workflows together by once being approved have it moved into another workflow? Do I instead need to copy the requirement and transpose them all manually? or do I just have to create a very long workflow for both projects? (I would've just done this but the complexity of visibility and content I don't believe is editable throughout the process as we intend it).

Thanks for any advise as I am not able to find any videos or other resources to aid me in this endeavor.

2 answers

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 20, 2021

Hello  @David Ohnstad 

Welcome to the community.

I think you should be able to use the Automation feature to move the issue from the RFE project to the PMQA project, or make a new issue in the PMQA project, triggering that automation when the issue status in the RFE project is changed to Approved.

I haven't worked out all the details, but here's a link to the main documentation page for the Automaton feature.

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/learn-the-basics-of-automation/

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 20, 2021

Hi David - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

You can't string together workflows in that manner. But you can create a larger workflow with all of the statuses in it. Then control who does what by adding transitions between the statuses with Conditions. That's what we do. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events